• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The new beer & alcohol thread

Impaired

Registered Member
Lately I've been drinking this rum I found called Black Rum. Captain Morgan makes a Black Rum, and it's beautiful, however this weekend I tried The Kraken, Black Spiced Rum.

Its a very smooth rum, and great straight. I haven't been mixing it at all. However it does go good with coke. I wish they still made vanilla coke, because I think it would go good with this rum.
They still make Vanilla Coke, I bought one yesterday (PA)

Myers is another good dark rum, although I like Kraken better. We spent a summer putting every fruit in a blender and making daiquiris -kiwi are awesome but ugly, almost all melon makes foam which isn't really that good. Sadly, this is perfect hangover drinking, rum and sugar.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Has anyone else found as they've gotten older, that they're booze tastes have narrowed to just a few drinks? Myself, when I do drink which isn't much these days, its only ever a spiced rum n coke, love the morgans, or a beer, either a budweiser or a standard lager. Anyone else have this happen?

dDave

V.I.P.
Has anyone else found as they've gotten older, that they're booze tastes have narrowed to just a few drinks? Myself, when I do drink which isn't much these days, its only ever a spiced rum n coke, love the morgans, or a beer, either a budweiser or a standard lager. Anyone else have this happen?
My taste has always been narrow. As I’ve gotten older I’ve had a lot more success picking new stuff up feeling confident that I’ll like it because I know more about my tastes.

I’ve always been a fan of Guinness but my favorite beer is Milk Stout Nitro by Left Hand Brewery. It’s the greatest beer ever made. Great taste and so smooth.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm actually really different. With the amount of different craft beers out there now, I love to try anything that is new - at least once. The higher the percentage the better.

Impaired

Registered Member
I think some of it comes from the youthful desire to get hammered - it makes you drink horrible tasting crap like Jaegermeister and 151 proof rum.

I find a drink a much wider array of drinks now. I like trying new drinks and new beers. Although truth be told, lately there are so many terrible beers out there.

I'm a scotch drinker too and always looking for tasting where I can sample a whiskey I never had before. Made a couple of mistakes buying bottles over $50 that I absolutely can't drink.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
All I ever drink nowadays is Gentleman Jack or a scotch like The Glenlivet. I do also love Woodford Reserve. I like to drink them neat or on the rocks on my back porch with a cigar. I don’t really drink beer anymore. On the rare occasion that I do, I drink Dos XX or a Stella Artious.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think some of it comes from the youthful desire to get hammered - it makes you drink horrible tasting crap like Jaegermeister and 151 proof rum.

I find a drink a much wider array of drinks now. I like trying new drinks and new beers. Although truth be told, lately there are so many terrible beers out there.

I'm a scotch drinker too and always looking for tasting where I can sample a whiskey I never had before. Made a couple of mistakes buying bottles over $50 that I absolutely can't drink.

That is a pretty sight right there.

Impaired

Registered Member
That is a pretty sight right there.
Yes, it is - the bar was left in the house by the previous owner and I immediately took it over and it is scotch only.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes, it is - the bar was left in the house by the previous owner and I immediately took it over and it is scotch only.
I want to try to get into scotch. I'm not really a hard liquor kind of guy, I usually stick to beer and wine, but it would be nice to have a nice glass of scotch from time to time.

Impaired

Registered Member
Look for scotch tastings. You can usually try a half a dozen or more scotches and find ones you like. Once you find one or two you like, I can suggest others in that same vein.

I've gotten very good at knowing my scotches. My friend and I get together every week and have at least one. Whoever pours makes the other one guess the region, the age and the distillery. We both have large collections and it is interesting to try and guess what you are drinking.

Personally, I take a small sip and then add a few drops of water. This usually results in a flavor and bouquet explosion. if the whisky is cask strength, I usually add quite a bit more water, since some cask bottles are 120 proof.

ice dulls flavor as does cold, so room temp water is best for tasting.

If you like drinking on the rocks, by all means, drink it that way. But when at a tasting, try just a little water.