• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV The NBC Late Night programming situation.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
So I can't believe that no one has brought this up yet. For those of you who may not know, there has been a big shit-storm going down at NBC with their late night programming for the past week or so. The jist of what happened is this:

• Conan took over the Tonight Show about seven months ago
  • Not long after that, Leno decided he still wanted to do a show
  • NBC gave him his own half hour show, "The Jay Leno Show", at 10:00 PM. The show was basically a watered down version of his Tonight Show
  • The show was a huge, and I mean HUGE, ratings flop.
  • Local affiliates got upset because people were tuning out before the local news came on because so few people watched Jay's new show
  • At the same time, the poor ratings carried over to Conan and the Tonight Show, causing NBC to get upset.
  • NBC decided to move Jay and the "Jay Leno Show" to 11:35, right after local news.
  • This would push back Conan and the Tonight Show to 12:05. "Late Night with Jimmy Falon" would also be moved back to 1:05.
  • Conan was upset by this sudden turn of events (he apparently wasn't consulted at all) and saw it as NBC going back on their word.
So that is a brief run down of the situation. And now, the newest, and biggest, turn of events is that Conan has decided to leave NBC and the Tonight Show after only seven months.

Conan O’Brien released a statement Tuesday saying he no longer wants to host NBC’s “Tonight Show” and intends to seek a way to end his contract with the network.
Source: Conan O’Brien Says He Won’t Host ‘Tonight Show’ Following Leno - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com

So yeah, this is pretty fucked up in my mind. I've always been a fan of Conan and was legitimately excited when I found out he was going to take over the Tonight Show. And then NBC pulls this dick move out of nowhere. I would really like to see Conan get another show on a different station and see it take off and be hugely successful.

Also, this link has a video of his monologue last night. You can tell that he is pissed about the way things are going. Watching him take the piss out of NBC made my day.

conan seems upset about something - What Would Tyler Durden Do

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Yeah NBC is seriously messing up here. I'm a fan of Jay Leno but I'll admit his new show isn't nearly as good as his Tonight Show days. I'd love to see both of them still have a show, but if the ratings keep tanking, then I would understand if the jey leno show got canceled. From what I understood, Conan always got pretty good ratings.

viLky

ykLiv
While Jay is my favorite late night guy, I don't think it was fair to move him to Conan's spot. Jay left, and if you want to return you need to get back in line. Put him on after Fallon or something. It's a slap in the face to both Conan and Fallon.

I've also heard that Conan wasn't doing well versus David Letterman. Now, was that because of the poor ratings due to The Jay Leno Show, or because Conan just can't match up compared to David Letterman?

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
Jay left? Come to think of it, I never knew why he stopped doing the Tonight Show. I should look that up. but I think he gets a little more star treatment cause he's a more established personality. He probably has more leverage and is pulling some kind of Brett Favre.

Regardless, saving a failing show isn't a smart move no matter who's in it. Maybe Jay can find a different network or something.

and i think Conan is better than Letterman. I've seen Letterman a few times and I just fell asleep.

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
I've also heard that Conan wasn't doing well versus David Letterman. Now, was that because of the poor ratings due to The Jay Leno Show, or because Conan just can't match up compared to David Letterman?
Everything I've heard is that there are two main reasons that Conan wasn't doing that well in the ratings. The Jay Leno Show taking the ratings for all of NBC's late night programming was one. The other was that Leno's Tonight Show was more safe and straight forward compared to Conan's zaniness and the older audience didn't like the change in tone. They thought Conan was too weird. So those two factors combined to make Conan's tenure not as highly rated, since while younger audiences like Conan more, they often are just watching other things or doing other stuff when he was on.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I found out that the Tonight Show under Jay Leno was always number one but Conan's contract said he could take over the Tonight Show once Jay's ended in 2009. so maybe some bias here by NBC

Vincent_Valentine

Studley-Do-Right
So I watched Conan tonight to see what he would have to say about the whole situation and he seemed even more adamant about his distaste for the whole situation. At one point during the interview with Tom Brokaw, Tom is telling an anecdote and keeps saying something along the lines of "When I came to NBC" and Conan laughs and says "Could you stop saying NBC? I'm trying to have a good time." So yeah, it's pretty damn obvious that he is seriously pissed at NBC.

In addition to Conan, pretty much all the other major late night hosts took shots at the situation. If you want you can go to the below link and see clips from David Letterman, Craig Ferguson, and Jimmy Kimmel all trashing NBC and Leno for this whole debacle.

http://tv.gawker.com/5446744/late-n...y-leno+bashing-leno-mostly-avoids-controversy

Konshentz

Konshentz
Conan has always been my favorite late night host, for years I fought my way through Leno's mediorce show just to see Late Night With Conan O'Brien. With Andy Richter, without him, he was always the funniest. He had some great skits that had me in tears. I wish he'd just go back to that. But hopefully he goes to a better station, that respects him and doesn't pull shit like this.

O'Brien>Ferguson>Leno>Letterman.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
So is this all the executives' decisions? I don't know if Leno himself actually did anything. I'm still a Leno fan, but if he started this, then I'll definitely lost a great deal of respect for him.

Conan's shots at NBC are quite funny though. The only reason I don't watch his show more often is because I can only stand Andy in limited doses. Conan himself I like.