The NBA is a joke

Discussion in 'NBA' started by Major, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Atlanta (20-24) and New Jersey (20-28) would both qualify for the playoffs if the season ended right now. At 19-28, Chicago is only 1/2 game behind.

Then you go over to the Western Conference where Houston (28-20) and Portland (27-20) would be left out of the playoffs.

It's an absolute disgrace that any team with a record under .500 can make the playoffs, not to mention the fact that there are better teams getting left out.

How would I fix it? Get rid of the conferences. 16 best teams make the playoffs and are seeded according to their record. Right now, there are 10 teams from the West that would make the playoffs and 6 teams from the East.

The playoff matchups would look like this...

#1 Boston vs #16 Washington
    #8 Utah vs #9 Orlando

#4 Dallas vs #13 Cleveland
    #5 New Orleans vs #12 Houston

#3 Phoenix vs #14 Portland
    #6 LA Lakers vs #11 Golden State

#7 San Antonio vs #10 Denver
    #2 Detroit vs #15 Toronto

No more easy road to the finals like Cleveland had last year. I think it would make the finals more competitive.

2. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

That does sound like a good system. Conferences are mainly for organizational purposes like for the All-Star games. Crunching the entire league into one system is way too messy, unless you keep the divisions until it comes playoff time.

But the current system also allows for some underdog teams to make it, like Golden State. If it's always the top 16, then it'd be dominated by the same teams year after year.

3. Major

Golden State would have still made the playoffs last year. In fact, they would have been the 13th seed, ahead of a few crap Eastern Conference teams.

The only point of having conferences and divisions is to cut down on travel time and expenses. Under my proposal, the teams could still play their same schedules during the regular season so they wouldn't have to travel as far, but then just get rid of the conferences for the playoffs.

4. Major

Just thought I'd point out that ESPN.com has a poll question about this right now.

"Should the NBA re-format the playoffs, allowing only the top 16 teams in?"

64% have voted Yes out of over 36,000 votes.

5. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Yeah. I saw this when I was flipping through SportsCenter. They said the match would need to be in 2-3-2 format for traveling purposes.

6. Major

The Finals are already 2-3-2, so I think it's actually a good idea to use that format throughout the playoffs even though I like 2-2-1-1-1 better.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

That's actually a pretty good idea. For the All Star game sure, they can use conferences, but you make a good point about the playoffs.

Do you think the champions would have been much different over the past years though?

8. Major

Probably not. Usually the best team will find a way to win. But the point is for the 16 best teams to have the opportunity, not the 8 best teams plus 8 more from an inferior conference.