• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Naked Body: Why is there shame?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm betting this won't be as big of an issue to some foreigners, but here in the US there is a lot of shame placed on the human body especially nudity. I don't think I have to remind people that after Janet Jackson's partially exposed boob (no nipple) appeared on TV briefly, we had some people believing our children were forever destroyed. That's just one example of course.

Why do you think Americans have shame issues with the concept of a naked body?

Do you think there can be negative effects from this treatment of such an idea? Why or why not?

Any personal experiences that helped shaped your views?

Dabs

Registered Member
I do not think the naked body in general is vulgar or ugly or should be shameful. Most people consider it a beauty, an art of some kind. And I have seen some paintings of nudes that are very nice indeed!
Having said that tho, I don't think people should walk around in public places totally nude. Because there are children, and until children get to a certain age, they can not fully understand the human body. And if they have idiot parents, they might not be taught properly.
I personally, could never feel comfortable walking around in the nude, and my reason is simple. I have scars, they are very ugly to me, and quite large. People tend to notice those before they notice my other parts.
And btw, I saw nothing wrong with the Janet Jackson thing-a-ma-jig. She had a star over her nipple, it wasn't a bare boob hanging there. These crazy people, make it all out to be trashy and slutty.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think it's because nudity is usually associated with sex in our society. And for some reason it's worse to be exposed to sex than it is to drugs and violence. Doesn't really make much sense to me.

shelgarr

Registered Member
Shame? That wouldn't be the word I would use. Here in America we have a respect for preserving privacy. Do you think we're just covering boobs, penis's and vaginas? Nope it's scars, moles, hariness, fat rolls, boney chest, small this, large that. Some things are only for a persons own eyes, or that of a trusted love one.

Maybe the naked body is "natural" and "worth being proud to bear all" but it's only the rare that are truly beautiful specimens. The rest of us need to cover up!!

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Shame? That wouldn't be the word I would use. Here in America we have a respect for preserving privacy. Do you think we're just covering boobs, penis's and vaginas? Nope it's scars, moles, hariness, fat rolls, boney chest, small this, large that. Some things are only for a persons own eyes, or that of a trusted love one.
As Tucker said in another thread, I think shame fits because of our religious roots as a country (prudeness essentially). I think you're seeing this from a rather "Cosmopolitan" sort of viewpoint. I'm not talking about imperfections here, I'm talking about why our country sees nudity as something demoralizing or damaging. Some of us seem to think that when a boy sees a boob, he's going to become a rapist or something or that he'll suddenly have a thousand questions and will get more and more evil the longer you take to tell him. Yet, our kids are exposed to all sorts of violence, a lot of it on the news, yet we don't explain that to them. Or, some parents teach their kids at a young age the dangerous 'black and white' line of thinking by explaining it simply by "He died because he was a bad guy. The good guy killed him" or something simplistic like that.

I'm curious though, why does your body only belong to your eyes? I only ask because it's a reason I've heard once before but I'm curious as to your reasoning.

Maybe the naked body is "natural" and "worth being proud to bear all" but it's only the rare that are truly beautiful specimens. The rest of us need to cover up!!
Isn't that kind of shallow?

"The ugly ones need to cover up, but you over there POAST UR BEWBS"

shelgarr

Registered Member
Prude, religious, shallow. Maybe, mabye not. Just putting some ideas out there. Take it or leave it. The topic really isn't relevant.

Hiei

The Hierophant
Why do you think Americans have shame issues with the concept of a naked body?

I think this actually stretches further than Americans, but I would say that Americans do seem to be the most prudish and it's mostly because of religion, in my opinion.

As far as America goes, this is a country founded by deeply religious people, the Puritans. The Puritans couldn't stand the sight of a naked body and were all about having babies just to keep the family name going. Very deeply religious folks. These are the same people that burned witches at the stake.

Do you think there can be negative effects from this treatment of such an idea? Why or why not?
Absolutely. It's in human nature to be sexually active. If it weren't, we wouldn't survive as a species.