• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Mystery of Greenland

SimplyGenius

Registered Member
Just imagine it. With all that ice, you might think that there must be something of archaeological significance to discover down there. With up to two-mile thick ice in someplces, one might wonder what the effects could be to anything under there.

But what if we stripped all of that away? I mean really, Greenland is massively unexplored (in archaeolgical terms) with the knowledge that it is 85% covered with ice. So there's all this land that has been completely untapped, and may hold something valueble, but that's just my opinion.

My goal here is not to discuss Science, as I wasn't quite sure which category I should put this thread. I may put this prompt in the Science section as well, but for now, I want to see who responds to this on the basis of History, Science, Literature, and/or geographical theorem.

You see, my real purpose is to seriously discuss something that I have found to be interesting to a high Degree. I will present evidences that I hope you will fairly interpret and present your opinion. I will present mine. Because my personal theory is that Greenland (the largest island in the world, thought to be unimportant, and insigicant to the human race) is actually the lost continant of Atlantis.

I will now present my evidences (continue reading if you consider yourself a fair disputent):

Evidence Factor 1- Location

Kircher's 1665 map (just google it, I'm not giving you links) shows Atlantis between europeand america, exactly. Literally, it's right in the of the atlantic. Now you might say well greenland is too far north. But compared to other theories, it's very accurate. Thus, I consider this evidence for my little theory.

Evidence Factor 2 - Shape/North-South Orientation

if you look at Greenland, and then you look at Kircher's Atlantis, and then you look at Greenland, and then at Kircher's Atlatis, you find that they are basicly the same shape: elongated from north to south; bulk of land in the north, penisula in the south. You can find this with any map of greenland, and Kircher's Atlatis.

It's hilarious how people have founded their entire theories on the fact that Antarctica is (in a small way) similiarly shaped like Kircher's atlantis, and yet, it's nowhere near where Kircher suggests it to be, and it's upside down, and greenland (the most likely candidate if the general location of Kircher's Atlatis is assumed to be true) fits the description of Atlantis way better.

These are some of my evidences. I don't have time to explain the rest, so if you're up to "dissecting" all of this, pease do so with the upmost solemnity.

Also, feel free to suggest your own theories about Atlantis, just don't veer off into the blue yonder of irrelavence.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
That would be cool if it was. I've always been a fan of Atlantis legends but everybody seems to think that if Atlantis did exist, it is now completely under water.

Either way there could be some oil up there. Alaska has a ton and that is about the same latitude if I remember correctly.

Nice post. Do you know if any archaeologists have any plans to explore Greenland?

SimplyGenius

Registered Member
I think the most they've done to explore the interior of greenland is like RADAR stuff to see mountains under the ice. Although, the only 3D diagram things that i have ever seen don't make any sense at all. I do wish they would drill into the ice to the land underneath, but seriously, I would hope they'd have a reason to drill wherever they do.

But actually, a better way to observe Subglacial greenland would be to wait for all that ice to melt. Yep, not everything about Global Warming is all that bad. Just as long as we're willing to lose entire cities for the sake of potentially discovering a huge city of with incredible antiquity and historical implications.

Then again, the general notion is that we can't stop Global warming, so eventually, we'll be able to see what's under the ice. I'm not saying it has to be Atlantis, but Greenland could also YES have huge amounts of oil. Then again, by then, we'll have completely altered our methods of energy extraction into environmently safe ways.

So what can i conclude? One day (if the world never sees some catastrophic event that wipes the whole of the human race) we WILL see if Atlantis is in Greenland or not because of ice deserting the island.

SimplyGenius

Registered Member
did someone like move my thread from general to Science? cause I remeber putting this one in general. I just put a copy of the prompt in Science. Well if that's what happened, thanks.

Phoenix

Fee-nix
That would be truely amazing...it sort of makes sense though. i can see how that could work (Greenland being Atlantis). interesting food for thought. :)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah I moved it here and made it one thread. It's easier to have just one if it's the same thread. People generally check all the forums anyway. Science is a good place for this. :)

SimplyGenius

Registered Member
Well thanks again.

I have two more things that I would like to explain. One is that Plato described Atlantis as existing in the "Real Ocean". If you look at the arctic Ocean, you see that it is entirely encircled by land except by the norwegian sea, and a small little opening we like to call the Bering Strait. Now that's an ocean! And guess what? Greenland is dead in the center! Now suppose that a while back if this ocean had existed farther south. I have to be honest, I am an ID proponent and a christian (so that makes me what certain people might call a creationist). So that means that I am naturally inclined to agreeable theories. It does not mean I base my Scientific understanding on Blind Faith, it simply means I have a presupposition for interpreting evidence and creating theories. if you have heard of Walt Brown, you probably know about his Hyrdoplate theory. Well that explains how a Global flood could have occurred, and that ultimatley, everything was in a different geographical position. One of these would have been the arctic ocean, so if you can imagine the Arctic Ocean much farther south, with greenland in the middle. Wouldn't that look like an important part of the world?

Another thing I have to say is that Kircher said he based his map on Egyptian beliefs about Atlantis. So even though there had been some exploration of Greenland, none had produced a map as accurate Kircher's (shape/north-south orientation wise). What might you conclude from that?

Don't take my word for it, look into it for yourself.