The most un-freakn believable story you've seen all year:Westboro protestors get $

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
Fred Phelps is a son of a bitch. This man has been wronging and disgracing innocent people for his bastardized "cause."

And the article is rather scant on what Phelps sued over. I don't understand it. Phelps desecrated a Marines funeral. I don't see what Snyder did that Phelps can sue him over.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I don't understand why anti-gay protesters were there, is he, or his son - may he rest in peace - gay?

Either way, why should this poor man pay THEIR fees when it was their protest?

Bananas

Endangered Species
The father of a marine sued Phelps for picketing the funeral and the courts ruled against the father and awarded Phelps court cost.
Its right he should have to pay for them, he is after all the one who took them to court ...what is wrong is the court ruling but Im not here to challenge the first ammendment. His son in many ways died fighting for the very thing that he is opposing in the courts.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Its right he should have to pay for them, he is after all the one who took them to court ...what is wrong is the court ruling but Im not here to challenge the first ammendment. His son in many ways died fighting for the very thing that he is opposing in the courts.
I believe that is the British system - "loser pay", but not the American system. Its bizarre that the judge would award cost from what I understand.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I agree w/Bananas. While those people are complete a-holes, there is a 1st amendment. It applies even if the majority doesn't like the message. Loser should pay as why should any innocent party be damaged by false claims.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
I don't understand why anti-gay protesters were there, is he, or his son - may he rest in peace - gay?
I don't believe so. They just go to soldier's deaths to say that they've died because God is mad for "sin of homosexuality" or so I've seen in some articles.

These people need to read their Bible. I mean seriously, it doesn't get any more stupid than this.

Either way, why should this poor man pay THEIR fees when it was their protest?
Because to my understanding the father tried to take some kind of legal action against them.

They have freedom of speech on their side. Which is just ridiculous, I'm sorry. I'm still not 100% convinced that the people of WBC aren't "trolls" of the real world.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I believe that is the British system - "loser pay", but not the American system. Its bizarre that the judge would award cost from what I understand.
Actually the winning party has a right to recover his/her court costs not just at the trial level but the appellate level as well. In this case the Westboro Church filed their costs (not attorneys fees just costs) and Mr. Snyder filed his brief to object late. The rewarding of costs is very common.

The facts of the case hurts the Snyder family. While I find the Westboro Church and Fred Phelps assclowns they were at least 1000 feet away. Mr. Snyder's claim was for Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress yet he didn't even see these clowns during the funeral.

As I've said especially in response to gun control threads mostly by Pro, the rights that we have are not absolute. There are restrictions of time, place and manner in regards to the 1st Amendment. Their right to Free Speech should not infringe on the Snyder's right to bury their son. It's a difficult case to call, I don't think this is easy to say whether what they did was obviously an exercise of Free Speech.

In response to Pugz, they hate ALL American soldiers because there are more and more rights extended to gays here in America and they find it offensive. So any soldier in their eyes is going to hell for defending a country that is accepting gay people....did I mention they are assclowns?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Yeah, I found the court papers on it and it's not an open-shut as the original article says. The father found out about the protest and website afterwards by doing a google search. I'm a little sad that he was awarded 3 million and that was overturned, but I really think justice was preserved. It just would have been nice to have Phelps shut down, but it wasn't the right case to do it.