The Montreal Screwjob

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by padd, May 26, 2008.

1. padd

padd Registered Member

I was very young when this happed, I doubt I was even into wrestling back then. I'm not even sure what it's about, I checked wikipedia about it, and it just gave me a long assed review and shit. Although, was it all staged? I mean I watched this amateur video about the screwjob backstage, and it includes Brett;s wife talking to HHH and she calls him Hunter. If it were real wouldn't she call him Paul!? Maybe she was stupid, anyways. What was the reason for Brett to get screwed?
    YouTube - BackStage After The Montreal Screw Job i dont know if you've seen it or not but if you're interested here it is.

Somebody said that, is it eficient info?

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

What happened is that Bret Hart was told that he was going to win the title that night, but like everyone knows Shawn Michael won the title that night. Rumours were that Bret Hart was going to make an apperance on Monday Nitro the next day and he was going to bring the title. So since Vince didnt want that to happened he screwed Bret. I was really mad when it happened because Bret Hart was my favorite wrestler back then and even though I watched WCW back then, I enjoyed him more on WWF.

3. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

Bret just didn't want to lose the championship on Canadian soil and I still dont understand why. I understand why Vince did what he did...he couldnt allow even the slightest possibility of his belt showing up on WCW Nitro.

Not that he couldnt trust Bret but you never know.

4. padd

padd Registered Member

Why not? It's not like.. WCW would organize some kind of match to gain the WWE championship.. that;s crazy!

5. Millz

No what I am saying is that Bret Hart was the WWE Champion at the time. His contract with WWE was over and he could go and show up on a WCW show as early as the next night on Monday NIght Nitro.

Vince wanted Bret to drop the belt to HBK at Survivor Series so that Bret couldnt, as champion, show up on WCW with Vince's belt. It already happpened earlier with the old Women's title. Medusa threw the WWE Womens title in the trash can on Nitro. Vince didnt want that to happen and Bret refused to lose in Montreal. So Vince what he thought was right.

6. padd

padd Registered Member

Oh! his contract was expiring.. that I never knew about. I was almost sure that they would'nt want to make any bad publicity for nothing.

7. Millz

Exactly. Vince had to watch his ass on this one since Bret was champ. Bret wanted to just say goodbye on Raw and vacate the title but Vince wasnt sure if Bret would show up the next night or not.

YouTube - The Other Side of the Story pt 1

YouTube - The Other Side of the Story pt 2

Watch those...parts 1 and 2 about the screwjob. Awesome stuff.

8. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm still bitter about the whole situation, I wish it never happened, because since the whole incident happened, we've only seen Bret Hart once and that was when he got inducted in the Hall of Fame. Bret has said that he doesn't hold a grudge against Vince anymore, but he still hates HBK with a passion. If it never did happened, I'm sure we would see a lot more of the Hitman which would be awesome because he's my all time favorite.

9. padd

padd Registered Member

Well it's sad now that i look at it. I read some articles today, as well as an interview conducted in 1997, to Bret. He mentioned that had Mcmahon not cheated him out of the title match he would've forfeited the title on the next edition of RAW. It would've been nice to see a Canadian hero leave with respect and dignity, but the opposite happened. What are the odds of having a great wrestler like Hart come out of Canada again, I don't think there is any other wrestler who is as proud as being Canadian than him. sure, We have our Jerichos who can get a standing ovation in toronto, even if he's tagged with the HBK. But we'll never get another Hitman.

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  10. Millz

From a business standpoint I think it was hard for Vince to allow Bret Hart even the chance to go to Nitro with the WWE title. This was during the Monday Night Wars, the wars that Vince and WWE were losing. He couldn't take that chance. He did the only thing he viewed he could if Bret wasnt going to lose in Montreal. It sucks but until you own a million dollar corporate you won't be able to put yourself in his shoes.