The Missing Middle

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by eveningsky339, Jun 27, 2008.

1. eveningsky339

eveningsky339 Registered Member

Throughout the thousands of years of human history, the world has been essentially viewed in this fashion in relation to the supernatural:

[​IMG]

The supernatural and the natural worlds, in the minds of most of humanity, intersected. Where they intersected, there was the paranormal: ghosts, spirits, and the like.

Then along came the Enlightenment, and with it came many philosophers who were Deists. A deist believes that the Creator of the world basically wound the universe up and let it run, like a clock. They therefore believed that the natural and the supernatural did not intersect:

[​IMG]

This gap between the natural and supernatural has been called The Missing Middle. It is what has basically allowed science to step up and claim to be the best thing since sliced bread and people with paranormal or spiritual experiences to be labeled as mentally ill. Even many Christian denominations, except perhaps for the Roman Catholic Church and few others, have this similar world view. In fact, this notion of the Missing Middle was created by a missionary in India, who had no idea how to respond to the people's spiritual beliefs.

Now don't get me wrong, science is a great tool. If it wasn't, then paranormal investigators would be out of the business. (And I wouldn't be spending 23 hours a day building water rockets and playing on Orbiter.) But many people have blown it far out of proportion, calling science "the study of everything" or "the search for truth". Science is completely confined to the natural world and the area where natural and supernatural intersect (to an extent). It cannot study the supernatural and therefore cannot come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as the supernatural.

Deism progressed to naturalism, which eliminated the "supernatural" sphere entirely, and naturalism progressed to nihilism. On the other hand, very spiritual people, such as the kind you might find in the wake of the New Age movement, have eliminated the "natural sphere". Either of these actions is clearly incorrect in light of the success of science and the reality of the paranormal.

I propose that we go back to the model that has been verified through investigation and has lasted for thousands of years. There is a natural, there is a supernatural, and... in some rare instances... you may catch a glimpse of the two fading into one another.

This is just an article I cooked up for a paranormal group, but I was wondering... what is everyone else's take on it? :confused:

2. manuel

manuel Registered Member

The great Church Father Augustine say in the fifth century? "We must show our scriptures not to be in conflict with whatever our critics can demonstrate about the nature of things from reliable sources" Philosophy was the main tool Augustine used in this task.
    I personally don’t see science as a an enemy of religious faith, it actually help evangelisation, it clearly support the Intelligent Design proof of the existence of God.
    Perhaps each of us needs to think a little more and encourage those who lead us to teach us how to think carefully, logically, and clearly so that we can have accurate, well-thought-out answers when people challenge our Christian faith. I don’t think that science and their claim that “ science gives the only facts we can know are true, and if science cannot study something, then it isn't important, as far as I understand scientific discoveries only prove that this awesome creation that we see all around us has an intelligent designer and powerful creator, God.
    The super natural, the unseen things do they exist? Is there more than meets the eye? Absolutely!
    If there's no God or a spiritual realm, then there is something in the human brain that can and does present an amazingly realistic impression of one. Be it a gland, an artefact of environmental pattern recognition, a gift, whatever you want to pin it on, the result is, at certain times and in certain moods they are as tangible and real and distinct as the persons walking all around us.

3. TimmehD

TimmehD Registered Member

For any of your post to be relevant then you'd have to believe in the paranormal. I, for one, do not. I believe that there is no "paranormal realm" nor an "astral plane". Everything that we do and will experience will be on this mortal, tangible plane of existance and after this there isn't another realm to which we travel. This is just my belief and I'm sure many people disagree with it, however, I've never been sold on an afterlife or ghosts/spirits. The mind is an amazing tool, able to make us see whatever we want when certain parts of it are used in a specific manner.

4. eveningsky339

eveningsky339 Registered Member

About 80% of paranormal claims can be dismissed due to natural occurrences, but there's always that 20%... I have no doubt that you would change your mind if you witnessed some of these things for yourself, but hey-- your beliefs are yours. :)

5. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

To understand how I think about such things, imagine just one circle with the world "natural" written in it. Even things we don't yet know about, and will never know about, are natural. Why? Because I usually use the term "natural" in such a way as to make that tautologically true. :p Seriously, though, I'm not prone to believing in gods or ghosts. There's certainly things I don't know about, but since I don't know about them, I can't quite say what they are, now can I? I've always been quite naturalistic through-and-through.