The "Miracle" of Life

Hiei

The Hierophant
I keep seeing pregnant people where I work and it never fails that someone always manages to bring up how it's such a miracle to have a baby, or that it's a miracle the person got pregnant, or whatever. This got me to thinking about the phrase "the miracle of life" and how absurd that really is.

First off, having a baby isn't a miracle. That's just what happens. When a man and a woman have sex, the end result isn't always pregnancy, but that's the main purpose of sex. How great it feels to have sex, and how much of a stress reliever it is aside, the main purpose of sex is to have a child and spread your seed. It always has been, and it always will be. Humans and animals alike, we all have sex with the opposite sex of our species and have babies. That's not a miracle, that's just what happens.

Secondly, if it WERE a miracle that you were pregnant, you'd either have to have immaculate conception or be giving birth to an elephant. If you're a human and you give birth to another human, that's not a miracle. A miracle would be to give birth to a pot of gold, or to have rainbows blow out your vagina during labor.

Thirdly, and this is a different topic all together, if the person is sterile or baron and simply can't have kids for whatever reason so they keep getting en vitro fertilization and wind up pregnant, that might be a miracle on the smallest sense possible, but then, wouldn't that be playing god? You're probably infertile/sterile for some reason, and to go against that with medical science because you're greedy just seems......never mind.

My main point is that life isn't a miracle. Reproduction isn't a miracle. If anything, I'd say that the existence of life is the closest thing to a miracle that there is, but the reproduction of life isn't. And even then, the existence of life on some form is probably floating around in space right now.

What are your thoughts on any of this?

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
rainbows blew out of my vagina when I gave birth.

I guess it depends on your definition of the word miracle, but by the standard definition then no, it is not a miracle. It is pretty amazing, though. Pretty much the entire time I was pregnant, I kept thinking to myself "holy cow, there's a person inside me. There is a PERSON INSIDE ME"

Hiei

The Hierophant
I knew that I was forgetting to say something in the OP.

I wanted to mention that giving birth or having a child might be one of the defining moments in your life and it's something that you'll always cherish, but that doesn't make it a miracle. Intensely personal and spectacular to you, yes. Miracle and something that doesn't happen every single hour of every single day, no.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree with you, Hiei. Life itself is a miracle. Getting pregnant and giving birth is not. If getting pregnant were a miracle, then it wouldn't happen to the millions of people who don't deserve to have children.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
The word miracle does get thrown around a lot these days. I agree with everything you said, but honestly if I ever become a dad, I'll most likely be calling my kid a little miracle.

It may not be the best description, but if something makes you that happy why not? I can think of plenty of other things that don't deserve the title of miracle more than pregnancy/kids. :lol:

Ultra_Critical

Registered Member
I had a discussion with a co-worker recently over the topic of suicide. He had told me that a friend of his constantly talked about doing the deed like it was an ordinary thing to think about. His friend said that he had no interest in living, that trying to succeed in this world by doing the things society say you have do to advance wasn't an interest of his. Supposedly he wasn't depressed nor was his life particularly bad, he just summed it up as, "I didn't ask to be born". So my co-worker says that the "miracle" of birth isn't so much a miracle as it is a forced burden which, for some, is not worth it.

Now, I don't agree with a lot of things that he says but this got me thinking. I also worked with a girl who was on welfare with two kids, she was 24. She only worked half the hours she was offered and when she left the job she was pregnant with a third child. Child birth is certainly not a miracle, however, a good and stable loving family who stays together and raises a good, undamaged kid is closer to a miracle in my eyes.

RJ-Cool

"Expect the unexpected"
The gift of life or life in essence is indeed a miracle but the act of or the reproduction of life (by intercourse between male and female) is a natural occurrence. A miracle is an act or event attributed to divine intervention but people sometimes, in casual usage, refer to the word to describe a 'wonderful" occurrence or odd coincidence.

Ebola

Registered Member
I keep seeing pregnant people where I work and it never fails that someone always manages to bring up how it's such a miracle to have a baby, or that it's a miracle the person got pregnant, or whatever. This got me to thinking about the phrase "the miracle of life" and how absurd that really is.

First off, having a baby isn't a miracle. That's just what happens. When a man and a woman have sex, the end result isn't always pregnancy, but that's the main purpose of sex. How great it feels to have sex, and how much of a stress reliever it is aside, the main purpose of sex is to have a child and spread your seed. It always has been, and it always will be. Humans and animals alike, we all have sex with the opposite sex of our species and have babies. That's not a miracle, that's just what happens.

Secondly, if it WERE a miracle that you were pregnant, you'd either have to have immaculate conception or be giving birth to an elephant. If you're a human and you give birth to another human, that's not a miracle. A miracle would be to give birth to a pot of gold, or to have rainbows blow out your vagina during labor.

Thirdly, and this is a different topic all together, if the person is sterile or baron and simply can't have kids for whatever reason so they keep getting en vitro fertilization and wind up pregnant, that might be a miracle on the smallest sense possible, but then, wouldn't that be playing god? You're probably infertile/sterile for some reason, and to go against that with medical science because you're greedy just seems......never mind.

My main point is that life isn't a miracle. Reproduction isn't a miracle. If anything, I'd say that the existence of life is the closest thing to a miracle that there is, but the reproduction of life isn't. And even then, the existence of life on some form is probably floating around in space right now.

What are your thoughts on any of this?
That was a pathetic stubborn bachelor's rant tbh.

And your paranoid nitpicking fixation on the phrase "miracle of life" when speaking about pregnancy and reproduction is just SILLY.

I guess the understanding of the concept of "metaphor" is absent in your dome cuz that's just exactly what the phrase "miracle of life" is all about.

Here is some real miracles for you -

YouTube - FUCKING MAGNETS-X5

Enjoy !

Shwa

Gay As Fuck
V.I.P.

And your paranoid nitpicking fixation on the phrase "miracle of life" when speaking about pregnancy and reproduction is just SILLY.

I guess the understanding of the concept of "metaphor" is absent in your dome cuz that's just exactly what the phrase "miracle of life" is all about.

Enjoy !
...really? Hiei is a paramedic and works with saving lives, I'm sure it's pretty normal for someone in the medical profession or not to ponder the statement. Love trolls trying to debate with vets, only ends in epic fail.

I do believe with a positive outlook and the way you go about your life and what you make of it. But as Echoes stated, just giving birth and becoming pregnant isn't much of a miracle, unless you've been hitting the sheets for like months trying to and finally got to your goal. You wouldn't believe what some people would give to have a child, and yet those who didn't want a child in the first place have it off the bad. Sometimes the viewpoints are scewed (sp?).

Jeanie

rainbows blew out of my vagina when I gave birth.
....you should go for a check up hun, I don't think that's normal for women...unless you're a lesbian ;).

~Shwa

Hiei

The Hierophant
The word miracle does get thrown around a lot these days. I agree with everything you said, but honestly if I ever become a dad, I'll most likely be calling my kid a little miracle.

It may not be the best description, but if something makes you that happy why not? I can think of plenty of other things that don't deserve the title of miracle more than pregnancy/kids. :lol:
If something makes you that happy, then why not? I'd have to say because a delicious slice of cake can make you happy. Seeing a movie that'll change your outlook on life can make you happy. Playing a sports game can make you happy. That doesn't make them miracles. That makes them enjoyable.

Like I said in my second post, having a child might be one of the greatest moments in your life, but that doesn't make it a miracle. Now, if you knocked up your woman and she ended up giving birth to a living ball of fuzz, then I'd say that that is a miracle. But her giving birth to another human is simply nature running its course.

Thanks for your answer, though.

I disagree. I don't think that "the miracle of life" is a metaphor at all. If it is a metaphor I'd say that it's like when people compare people to Hitler. All it does is cheapen the original word and it's used mostly out of context.

A miracle is something that doesn't happen every day. In fact, it's something that defies all logic, and goes beyond all known human and natural powers. There are thousands of babies born every single day and we can explain all of them through both human and natural powers.

Enjoy !
I'll agree with you there, though. The fact that ICP even knows what magnets are is a miracle. ;)