TV The Mentalist

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by HalfEatenSurprise, Sep 23, 2010.

1. HalfEatenSurprise

HalfEatenSurprise Registered Member

A very good programme.

I find it to have quite an upbeat tone regardless of the content, which is weird. Even in the bits where they 'get the bad guy' or whatever, when you should probably expect gritty, nerve-tingling drama, it still seems very tongue in cheek or at least a little humourous.

I find it hard to take seriously, yet I think it is a very good show.

It has made me laugh (not out loud), but in an agreeable, chuckling sort of way, on numerous occasions over the few episodes I've seen.

Anyone else seen this? Thoughts, if so please.

Thanks.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I started to get in to the show last season. I'm definitely going to keep up with it this year. I love Patrick Jane, he's a great character, and very smart, the thing I enjoy the most from his is the way he carries himself. I look forward to a great season, and hopefully we can get some discussion going about the new season.

3. HalfEatenSurprise

Yeah, I hope so too. I'm currently working through Season 1 --- It's weird, because there seems (so far) to be no narrative of huge sorts, going on from one episode to the next. I mean, you get an idea of who the characters are but that's it. Each incident I've seen up to now seems very singular. There's no cliffhanger ending where you've got to see the next episode to find out what happens. I like that. It's good stuff. I recommend it to others.

4. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

I've been watching this since it started, missed out on a few episodes but will be buying all the seasons soon. I love Simon Baker, he is adorable! <3

5. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

The episode yesterday was pretty entertaining. I loved how Lisbon tricked Jane to be on the case about the missing person, after he said he didn't want to be part of it.

I knew all along that the stepfather had something to do with it, he just didn't seem to fit in this whole story. I loved how he tricked him by saying that diamond was in his fake tooth, he knew that he would gone for it. Pretty smart move.

Anyone else saw the first episode of the new season?

6. Atreyu

Atreyu #2 New Zealander

I thought I'd just bump an old thread instead of making a new. I love this show, it's easily my favourite on TV right now. I've got the first two seasons on DVD.

7. twilitezone911

twilitezone911 Registered Member

i find it hard to get into the show, i think simon baker , it is a very good. as far as " patrick james " character, he is a bad version of " columbo ", james reminds me of him, because of a little mannerism of " columbo " has ! the writers of the show. makes " james " character being " predictable " , when elizabeth and her crew looks so clueless at crime scenes, because they are cops, and they have done so many crime scenes in the past, and they need "new " eyes to see different point of view ! be honest, nobody does better than " monk " at crime scenes ! i will admit i do like the show, i am not sure why !

8. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm a really big fan of this show. I love Patrick Jane's character and think Simon Baker does a brilliant job at it. I compare The Mentalist with Lie to Me to some extend. It has a little twist and intrigue going for it with the dynamic of the characters being out of the ordinary detective/police man routine.

9. HalfEatenSurprise

I prefer Lie to me to The Mentalist. I really like The Mentalist, but Tim Roth's performance as 'Cal Lightman' (super cool name) is fantastic. Well, he's pretty made for that character. Remarkable programme. Also love the odd bits of 'cockney' he chucks into conversation... 'You all right love...' lol.

10. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

It's actually hard for me to pick the one character above the other, but if I had to, I would pick Cal over Jane as well. Still though, I love the whole idea of him being a mentalist and his cool and calm way of dealing with the crime solving.