• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies The Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread

C-Mach

Registered Member
Welcome to the Mel Brooks Appreciation Thread! Here, we discuss the various works of Mel Brooks, such as "The Producers" and "Young Frankenstein". Enjoy! Thank you, Dekzper, for the suggestion.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Sweet! :D Big ups for this one! My favs are Spaceballs, High Anxiety, & Young Frankenstein. That's the only ones I've seen (so far). Gotta do zzz right now but I'll talk more about them later 4 sure! That guy was def a genius. :nod:

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
Mel Brooks is one of my favourite people! I have a good few of his films, including young frankenstein, to be or not to be, silent movie, high anxiety, the twelve chairs, history of the world: part 1, life stinks, etc.

And Blazing Saddles of course, which is my all-time favourite movie. Probably something to do with the fact that I also love Gene Wilder and Madeline Kahn.

C-Mach

Registered Member
History of the World, Part 1; Spaceballs; High Anxiety; Young Frankenstein; Silent Movie; The Producers; and Blazing Saddles are my personal favorites from the master farcisist himself.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I prefer Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein over all of his other films. Great thread!

He just has some crazy ideas.

Dekzper

Registered Member
He had some VERY crazy ideas and they were awesome! One really fun part of Young Frankenstein was the Frau Blucher thing. Dr Fronkensteen (lol) would say her name and the horses reared back and whined! Some peeps though it was because "blucher" meant glue in German but I've had a few semesters of German and glue is either "der klebstoff" or "der leim". Also, there is no word "blucher" in German except as a surname.
What Mel Brooks did was from German history. Gebhard Leberecht von Blucher (1742-1819) was the "gung ho" German general who beat Napolean at Waterloo in 1815. And he was fast and victorious in a lot of other battles too. The Germans have an expression "Going at it like Blucher" which means the same as "gung ho". Anyway, that's what Mel Brooks was using for a reference and that scene is even funnier when I'm remembering that.