• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The little stuff really starts to add up

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree. Everybody should keep track of all of the money they spend. Otherwise it's very easy to go over on your credit cards, debit cards, checking accounts, and of course D, all of the above.

I once added up all the money I had spent on going to the movies one year and it was over $200... What a waste of money considering I could have easily found a better way to spend $200.

katharina

Registered Member
Our main "nickel & dime" thing is not having a regular menu. Because we often make runs to the store for "today's dinner" we usually end up spending a lot more on food than we really ought to have to spend.
This would definitely be my downfall, too. I make sure to buy everything I'll be needing during the main grocery trip. I usually need bread and milk during the week, but if I'd shop daily for the meals, I know I'd have a nickle and dime problem for sure and probably have a problem with weight gain, too. :nod:

mamab

Registered Member
The big thing about food is that it is an absolute necessity, whereas things like cable aren't. So, if you're going to overspend on any part of your budget, I guess food would be the place to do it.

sarahlorrain

You are absolutely right. And this applies to all sorts of things. The last minute purchases at the grocery counter are a big one. I've heard it really helps to write down exactly how much money you spend and on what. It can be very tedious, I'm sure; but it can really show you where your money is going!;)

rubybug

It's ironic you should mention that sarahlorrain! I started that tedious list today to show the kids and husband how much they spend. I know they don't realize it.

katharina

Registered Member
The last minute purchases at the grocery counter are a big one. I've heard it really helps to write down exactly how much money you spend and on what. It can be very tedious, I'm sure; but it can really show you where your money is going!;)
In theory this sounds like a great idea... but knowing myself as I think I
probably do, I might last for two weeks doing this before I'd tire of it. :)

katharina

Registered Member
It's ironic you should mention that sarahlorrain! I started that tedious list today to show the kids and husband how much they spend. I know they don't realize it.
It's a month now since you wrote this, rubybug... have you found that this
worked for you?