Ant On A Log

"I am lying now."

"This statement is false."

do you agree, or disagree, and why?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
HolyfuckinshitAntOnALog?

What exactly are you getting at? I'm a bit confused as to what is being asked here.

Corona

Registered Member
"Everything I say is false."

It's a damn circle, and you'll never get anywhere. I wasted about 15 minutes of my life pondering it one day.

A

Ant On A Log

yeah. but like the article says, it proves that there can't be one consistent view of the truth if statements like that are able to be made.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
A statement can be both true and false. A proper 'liar paradox' just demonstrates a statement for which such is the case. The law of non-contradiction shouldn't be a straitjacket that we let lead us to confusion. If there's reason to accept a contradicting statement, then we should clearly do what is reasonable. To do otherwise would be dogmatic.

A

Ant On A Log

No, it proves that the English language has loopholes.
you can say the exact same things in other languages. this argument isn't too convincing.

and of course you can accept the fact that a statement has the possibility to be true and false at the same time, but what consequences does that have on the way we perceive the truth? you guys are all pointing out the obvious but not delving any deeper to look at the ramifications.

Corona

Registered Member
Even if I "delved deeper" it would have no ramifications on how I perceived the truth, because it is just a foolish phrase. A is A. B is B.

The paradox is like an undefined value in math.

you can say the exact same things in other languages. this argument isn't too convincing.

and of course you can accept the fact that a statement has the possibility to be true and false at the same time, but what consequences does that have on the way we perceive the truth? you guys are all pointing out the obvious but not delving any deeper to look at the ramifications.
What is the answer?
a)b
b)c
c)a

You wanna know the answer? Give it some context!!! Otherwise, saying things like that, or "I'm lying right now" have no more meaning than the medium they're expressed with. Truth, lies or otherwise.

How about this? What's the square root of -1? It's Imaginary 1. What's this mean? Nothing.

There are real life situations that use imaginary numbers, though, and in those cases, it means something.