The latest trend of technology in entertainment industry

In this technology driven world, how does technology play a part in the entertainmenmt industry? What is the latest technology that is used in the entertainment industry? eg. the type of programming language used and the factors that affect the entertainment industry..

Reverend

Registered Member
Whoa... where to start...

The "entertainment industry" is probably too big to be broken down like that.

A lot of the entertainment industry is revolving around networked technologies and the internet. So I would say a good place to start would be looking at web programming technologies. PHP, Java, Actionscript, etc.

But technology is present in pretty much every aspect of the industry from movie special effects and music production to handheld video players and video games. And it varies greatly across the entire spectrum.

Pete

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not to mention music, magazines, and home entertainment such as TV's, blu-ray/HD-DVD, etc.

You could get through most college classes by writing papers JUST on one of the above subjects, let along the entire entertainment industry... It's hard to put it in a box. :)

yea..true..its hard to break down "entertainment industry". Maybe for now lets talk about games.
Games are juz too popular among youngster nowadays. Graphics card is one of the additional item to make playing games more exciting. Is there any common or particular programming language used in creating games?
I wonder which one is harder, either the technology required for creating a movie or creating a game? Well...we can say it depends...but when it comes to movies, we only see the effects of the technology when the movie is released(the background of the technology is basically hidden) ..but in a game, the user interacts with the technology...does it mean..games earn more recognition because of this factor?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well considering that games have to be rendered in realtime, and movies are pre-rendered, that's why movies look so much better, at least for now..

Some of the new graphics cards out there are rendering amazing images on the fly... As for which is harder to do, I think games are harder because there is more programming required. 3d object implementation in movies is one thing, but with games nowadays that's 100% of what needs to be done, but not only that, but a full program behind each game to tell the computer what to do when certain keys are pressed, how the image should change, how perspective should change, etc, etc, I could go on and on.

Good videogame programmers are making high $xxx,xxx per year on average now. It's a booming market and one of the best to get into. It's also extremely competitive as well though, and you need to be good to get the good jobs.

Of course good Hollywood 3d animators are making insane amounts of cash as well... The two industries are quickly becoming one anyway..

Reverend

Registered Member
Is there any common or particular programming language used in creating games?
The majority of computer games are developed in C++. This includes PC games as well as console games. Sometimes there will be a scripting language involved too for interface work, etc.

If you're interested in Game Development, you might check out GameDeveloper Magazine

A couple of years ago, I got a subscription for free. Don't know if they still offer that or not, but you could look around their website to see.

Pete