• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Miscellaneous The Last Documentary You Watched?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Simple enough question, what is the last documentary you watched? Did you enjoy it?

The last one I watched was an episode of Vanguard, an investigative journalism TV show. The episode was called "Sex, Lies and Cigarettes". It was about how big name cigarette companies, such as Marlboro are losing heaps of business in modern Western countries due to anti-smoking campaigns so they are now looking for other, less educated countries to settle in.

This documentary followed the situation in Indonesia, where cigarette advertising methods that have long since been banned in countries like the US, are now being used in countries like Indonesia, where babies smoke and kids as young as 7 can easily buy cigarettes. They even sell them outside of schools!

I thought it was a very good documentary and opened my eyes to a problem I didn't even know about.

For anyone who is interested the full episode is here.

Sex, Lies & Cigarettes': Vanguard Sneak Peek (Indonesia Subtitle-Full) - YouTube

Also it should be noted that I want to generate discussion about various documentaries in this thread. So if people start a long discussion about a particular doco it's not off-topic.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
The last documentary I watched was about the president of the United States of America and the inner workings of the White House. Obviously, there's a lot of stuff that can't be disclosed but what I saw was fascinating.

I learned about how Kennedy created the "situation room" and I learned all about the theory that there's an insanely heavily secured bunker under the White House lawn. The documentary covered a lot of the changes that have been made with various presidents, security around the White House (even outside the fences).

It was a great documentary and I've been meaning to watch others in this same series that I've recorded.

dDave

V.I.P.
This is the one I watched.

The White House Secrets [FULL VIDEO] - YouTube

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that the entire inside of the white house has been 100% restored, restructured, and redesigned. Did you know that the white exterior of the White House has nothing to do with the structural integrity of the building anymore?

They keep incredibly current technology behind those walls. It's amazing to think that the whole country can be run efficiently from that one building.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Crouton, I actually watched a similar documentary recently about the tobacco industry in Indonesia and how so many young children smoke. It's pretty messed up. It just goes to show that big corporations don't give a shit about doing the right thing. All they care about is profit. Sure, a company's priority is supposed to be on profit, and that would be fine if there was some government regulation. But the problem is that some of these large corporations literally become more powerful than the government.

The last documentary I watched was about this scary drug down in Colombia. I don't remember what it's called, but it's mostly used by criminals on unsuspecting people to manipulate them into giving up all of their money and possessions, or rape, or whatever else. The victim appears to be completely sober and lucid, but they lose their free will. So if you tell them to empty their bank account and give it all to you, they will do it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Yeah Hoe's it's pretty scary. I sometimes wonder how people who work in big tobacco sleep at night. They are doing all this stuff, like advertising cigarettes as being fun, sexy and youthful. Which was all banned in other countries years ago. So instead of taking away the advertising they are just taking the same advertising style to less educated countries. How do they get away with it!?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Greed. They only care about themselves. I wonder how the tobacco company executives would feel if it was their 7 year old sons or daughters that were smoking. Pretty sure they wouldn't be ok with it. But as long as they're making money off of other people's children, it's great.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Excellent idea for a thread Crou. I love watching documentaries and now there's a thread I can go to for ideas on which to watch next. :nod:

The last documentary I watched was a 30 for 30 sports documentary called "Catching Hell". I loved it. It's a really fascinating story about one really unfortunate fan who caught a baseball in the stands. The unfortunate thing was that it seemed like it was fan interference and that the "fielder?" would have caught the ball and many fans believe that that one action costs the Chicago Cubs that championship. It's a classic case of wrong place at the wrong time. That combined with how outraged fans can get over their team, it made for a great documentary.

Here's the one I am talking about.

Catching Hell - YouTube

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I haven't finished watching it but I did start watching "We Are Legion - The story of the Hacktivists" which can be found here: We are Legion

It is currently showing on the UK version of netflix, I am not sure about the US version of Netflix as I have not looked but so far it is interesting. I have been interested in people like Anonymous and Lulsec in the way they work, why they do what they do and who it affects and intend to watch the rest of it very soon.

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
The last documentary I watched was about the Hershey Candy Company. I learned that the owner of the chocolate company did more than just make candy, he also created special schools for children having tough times and even created a park where families could go to have a good time. There's even an amusement park named after him.