• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Last Dance

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I loved his reactions to Isaiah talking about him walking off the floor and Gary Payton defending him. His reactions were awesome. I will say Payton did frustrate him a little, but MJ is MJ.

Yeah, Kerr talking about his dad was emotional. That was tough.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Wanted to add that before the doc came out, MJ said that people may perceive him as more of an ass.

I had major respect for him before this doc and I have even more now. I don’t know if it’s the athlete in me, but someone that cares, and always gives a 100%, doesn’t matter what the cost is (look at the series against the Pistons) I have nothing but respect for that. Don’t care if he was hard on his teammates. At the end of the day, their lives and career were 100x better because of him.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree. I love that kind of effort. His drive to win at all costs resonates with me. Winning is the ultimate goal. I respect anyone that has that kind of drive. He found any little thing to motivate him, anything that he can perceive as a slight, and he used it to beat his opponent. I can’t help but love and respect that. That’s why I’ve always found him to be amongst the greatest athletes of all time. In a class with Babe Ruth, Ali, and Gretzky.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I had a feeling me and you would see eye-to-eye on this one @CaptainObvious - I started watching basketball in ‘93; in my small city we only had the Bulls to watch(Raptors came into the league in ‘95) and I was a Bulls fan until MJ retired after his sixth title. He was such a joy to watch on the court. It was fun to see what happened behind closed doors.

In addition, give me Rodman on my team any day on the week. He’s another player that came to play every night. Studied the game. He’s 59-years-old, and I think he could still get 6RPG today if he played. He so much smarter than rebounders today - who rely on wingspan and length.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Oh definitely. I was going to say I thought Rodman didn’t get enough credit during the series. After Grant left, he filled a huge defensive and rebounding need on that team. He had to guard guys like Malone, Davis of Indy, Charles Oakley of the Knicks, Barkley, etc. The guy brought it every night. I loved it when he came to the Spurs, saw him live a couple of times, but I knew he wouldn’t fit in. He was the perfect fit in Chicago. Without him, I’m not sure they would have won the second three peat.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I've heard good things about the series so I put it on my watch list. I'm not really a big fan of MJ like some of my friend's and family who live in Chicago. But I know the dude's a terrific player and I hate that he made it hard for my fave team back then (Utah jazz) to win. :)

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It’s crazy that the NBA had some great players in that era, Ewing, Barkley, Malone and Stockton, Reggie Miller, that were denied championships because they played in the MJ era.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It’s crazy that the NBA had some great players in that era, Ewing, Barkley, Malone and Stockton, Reggie Miller, that were denied championships because they played in the MJ era.
To me, it’s one thing that makes me realize how good he was. It’s not like he didn’t have any challenges in his prime. Yet, he was 6-0 in the finals.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
To me, it’s one thing that makes me realize how good he was. It’s not like he didn’t have any challenges in his prime. Yet, he was 6-0 in the finals.
The Knicks, Pacers, Blazers, Suns, Jazz, all had great teams, and couldn’t win. Hakeem and Robinson are amongst the greatest big men in history, and they couldn’t win unless Jordan wasn’t playing. Neither could Shaq. Nobody dominated like that guy.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Would have been fun to see if they could have won another in 1999. They were drained physically and mentally, and that Spurs team was good, but would have been cool to follow.