The Joker is Breaching Taliban Lines

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I thought this was a pretty cool article. Always enjoyed seeing military technology no matter how simplistic it is or what service it upholds. These particular beasts are called "Assault Breacher Vehicles".... What do they do? Simple... they save lives by taking the hits of IED's and Mines. Check 'em out:

SISTANI, Afghanistan – In comes "The Joker."
That's the nickname given by the crew to one of the 72-ton, 40-foot (12-meter)-long Assault Breacher Vehicles. Fitted with a plow and nearly 7,000 pounds (3,175 kilograms) of explosives, the Breachers, as they are commonly known, are the Marines Corps' answer to the deadliest threat facing NATO troops in Afghanistan: thousands of land mines and roadside bombs, or improvised explosive devices, that litter the Afghan landscape.

The Breachers, metal monsters that look like a tank with a cannon, carry a 15-foot (4.5-meter) -wide plow supported by metallic skis that glide on the dirt, digging a safety lane through the numerous minefields laid by the Taliban.

If there are too many mines, the Breachers can fire rockets carrying high-grade C-4 explosive up to 150 yards (meters) forward, detonating the hidden bombs at a safe distance so that troops and vehicles can pass through safely.

The detonations — over 1,700 pounds (770 kilograms) of Mine Clearing Line Charges — send a sheet fire into the air and shock waves rippling through the desert in all directions.

Marines push 'The Breacher' against Taliban lines - Yahoo! News
To me this is pretty cool stuff. I love seeing tools and equipment utilized like this in order to better protect the Soldiers lives.

One thing I have to ask though, with IED's being one of the biggest fears I've heard of soldiers in the Middle East.... why havent they been using these Breachers already?

Bananas

Endangered Species
I have a friend who designs similar things for the MoD. A lot of engineering goes into making them, compromising weight/protection and calculating all the angles of deflection, maximum footprint etc...

Wade8813

Registered Member
That's pretty cool.

One thing I have to ask though, with IED's being one of the biggest fears I've heard of soldiers in the Middle East.... why havent they been using these Breachers already?
I've skimmed other articles, and it sounds like this is a fairly new vehicle (and it takes a while to get new things to be widely available).