• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Irish Catholic Church abuse report

Bjarki

Registered Member
Key points from the Irish abuse report
Sexual abuse of children was "endemic" in institutions in Ireland and church leaders turned a blind eye to it. Here are some key points from the 2,500-page, five-volume report by the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse, established in 2000.
• Abuse was reported at more than 200 school and residential settings, including children's homes, hospitals, national and secondary schools, day and residential special needs schools, foster care and a few other residential institutions, including laundries and hostels.
• The investigation looked into incidents "from 1936 to the present."
• The commission heard from 1,090 men and women who reported being abused as children.
• The largest provider of residential care for boys was the Congregation of the Christian Brothers. "More allegations were made against this organization than all of the other male Orders combined," the report says.
• Because of a lawsuit by the Christian Brothers, the commission was not allowed to identify any offenders. Its findings make very clear sexual abusers were allowed to operate with impunity and were often moved to another institution.
• The commission devotes an entire chapter to a serial sexual and physical abuser. "Mr. John Brander" spent 40 years as a teacher before being finally convicted of sexual abuse.
• Brander began as a Christian Brother, but after three incidents of sexually abusing boys was released from his vows. He taught at six schools, physically terrorizing and sexually abusing students in his classroom. When parents attempted to challenge his behaviour he was protected by diocesan and school authorities and moved again. Complaints to the Education Department were ignored.
The Times of London identifies Brander as Donal Dunne, convicted in 1999 and jailed for two years.

1.090 out of 35.000... that's more than I expected.. and probably not even half of the real number.

On Dutch ceefax I read that the purpetrators will not be named and prosecuted, can anyone confirm this? :shifteyes:

I've heard stories in my environment as well, about teaching nuns who weren't so friendly... but I don't think the abuse was as structured and extreme as it was in Ireland..
Anyone with experiences perhaps? Or stories heard?

Bananas

Endangered Species
On Dutch ceefax I read that the purpetrators will not be named and prosecuted, can anyone confirm this? :shifteyes:
Unfortunatly that is correct.

It is sickening really, lets hope it at least weighs heavy on their conscience that they offer some form of repentance, although I think it would mean little to the children who endured the worst. I also feel this report is little more than a reflection of the horrors and the true scale has been dumbed down and glazed over considerably.

At least Ireland has come a long way in the years since these attrocities.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I saw a show once on More4 about a priest in the US that kept molesting children; the Minister (or who ever was his boss) just moved him to a different town in the state-the same happened again a few more times before it actually went to court. A few of the victims received a letter from the priest apologizing for his actions years later.

Anyway, two things really pissed me off about the way the Catholic church handled it and the victims. The first was that they didn't care if a girl was molested, they just saw it as the priest being 'curious' because of the sodomy vow; the second was the fact that the church was aware of what this guy was doing (he had over 200 victims or something) and they did nothing accept move him around.

Another thing that bothered me was the fact that Bush, when he was President at the time, pardoned the Pope and the Vatican from conviction even though they new it was going on too.

One set of rules for some and other rules for the rest; he wouldn't have pardoned that NAMBLA group would he?

Bjarki

Registered Member
It's pretty outrageous indeed that the church tries to keep its members away from being prosecuted by the state. Laws apply to everyone. :stare:

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I think the problem is, the Church has spent the last two thousand years with almost complete control - only in the last few decades has that control really been heavily questioned. Most of today's laws (UK and US) are still influenced by Christianity, and it's a damn shame too.