• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Ice Cream Truck.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
As a adult I remember in the summertime having the ice cream truck come by my house when I lived in Jacksonville Arkansas. It being hot I always looked forward to that. I would listen for that familiar sound of music it played. When I heard it I would run outside to greet it. After I made my purchase, usually a pint of chocolate, my son and I would enjoy our frozen treats together.

When I was a kid living in St. Louis that ice cream truck was the greatest. They had all kinds of cones and flavors, it was almost like a traveling Dairy Queen. It really made my day when my mom would give me the money to buy a cone or some other tasty treat. To me it tasted better than anything we bought at the grocery store. I loved buying ice cream off the truck, as a kid it was the highlight of my day.

Maybe I liked the ice cream truck so much because most of my childhood was spent on a farm with no such thing making its rounds. I only saw things like that on TV and would think how nice it would be if we had one coming by. Even now if I see one when we are out I have the urge to flag it down and buy some ice cream. However now they don't seem to have the variety as the trucks when I a kid. Even the one in Jacksonville was only prepackaged ice cream.

Did you ever buy ice cream off a ice cream truck? Did it have a good variety?

dDave

V.I.P.
I've actually never bought from an ice cream truck before . I wanted to on several occasions as a kid but was never allowed.

I think it's an industry that's on it's last legs and still dying. I've only ever seen one truck in Colorado. It's always in this small part of town that's reminiscent of the Midwest.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I used to get ice cream from the Ice Cream man all the time. I loved the ice cream that was a baseball glove and the ball was bubble gum. That and the strawberry shortcake kind that you can now get in the stores.

I dunno if they still come down my parents street but I hear them on my street all the time. The problem is that they drive too fast...ya gotta slow down so kids can have time to hound their parents for money and run outside.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I used to love the Ice cream truck, we had one come round my mum and dads house when I was a kid.
On a Saturday afternoon he would turn up, kids would the jingle and before you knew it there would be every kid from the estate standing in line waiting there turn.

That Ice cream van and the guy driving it still come around my parents way, he has being that round for over 30 years now, seen all of my generation grow up and have kids of their own and he still remembers the names of us older ones.

His selection was never huge, but that never mattered, it was the Ice cream and as kid that was the best.
The last place I bought Ice cream from my local skate park last week,me the kids and my friends all had chocolate ice cream.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I see the trucks every summer but they dont drive down our street. I dont know what flavors they have because I never got any ice cream from them. Btw the trucks here have the music and they drive slow but Im always in a car when we see them and no time to stop.

Dragon

V.I.P.
When my brothers and i were younger, we always looked forward to the ice cream truck because we would always get the wwf ice cream sandwiches. They had images of the wrestlers on them. When the ice cream truck rolls around this summer, i will have to what ice creams they have.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Yes, and most Ice Cream trucks had a good variety of really overpriced ice cream treats.
Last summer I heard a Dicky-Dee in my neighborhood plunking out... A CHRISTMAS CAROL!
Yes, this trademark sound of summer was now transformed to an annoying reminder of the coldest time of the year. As if I didn't get enough carols during the Christmas season, and as if that plunking repetitious "music" wasn't annoying enough at the best of times, they went and dun that! There needs to be a carol law! No playing them out of season! Argh!

... I get my ice cream by the bucket, it actually costs about the same for a big tub that it does for a bit on a stick.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's true it is more expensive off a truck but when you are a kid and can't drive that may be your only opportunity to get any.

Konshentz

Konshentz
We never had an ice cream truck where I lived. Which is fine, I find them creepy, so I'd much prefer to just buy them from the store anyway. Haha.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
Here in oz we didnt really have too many of the traditional ice cream trucks that came around the neighbourhood, but rather this truck that sold boxes of them if that made any sense. We called them home ice cream and theyd have a distinctive bell that rang all around the neighbourhood. Good times :)