Movies The Hurt Locker

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Mirage, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I just watched "The Hurt Locker" last night. Who else here has seen it? It beat out Avatar for "Best Picture" at this year's Golden Globe awards, which is why I was interested in seeing it in the first place. While I don't agree with it being better than Avatar for Best Picture I still thought it was a really well done movie worth seeing.

It was very well done and it really felt like you were observing these people through a documentary or something. The acting was really good and the movie really succeeded in showing a slice of life for soldiers in Iraq.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I have yet to see this movie, but I've heard great things and I really want to see it. I think it's going to dominate the awards at the Oscars.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I don't think it should dominate the awards vs. Avatar. I do think it could win best actor though. The acting was some of the best I've seen. Not a single bad extra even and all of the main characters were 100% on their mark the entire time.

4. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Just watched it and I thought it was great, like you said Brix the acting is top notch.
    The scene near the end with the guy who has the bombv strapped to him against his will had my right on the edge of my seat.
    The whole film was tense!

I'm sure the main question surrounding this film is "Does it deserve to be wiping the floor with Avatar at awards shows?" My answer is Yes. Don't get me wrong, any award Avatar wins for special effects is right on the money but The Hurt Locker has it beat in most other respects for me. The acting is fiercely good, something that Avatar only averages out as mediocre in. Worthington is ok, Saldana is better but the rest of the cast are pretty weak with the exception of the sci-fi queen herself, Sigourney Weaver.

5. Poetosis

Poetosis Registered Member

I have yet to see it, but what draws me to it was a recent interview I was watching on the BBC News. I discovered that the film, hulking with bromance and hair-raising tension, was in fact directed by a woman. This started to get me intrigued.

Hearing people's views here has also only helped to pique my interest. I really hope that it wipes the floor with Avatar on every front that does not involve special effects. Yet, I am still hoping for the British efforts to win a few.

6. Alien

Alien New Member

How can you hope it "wipes the floor with Avatar" without having seen it? Did you despise Avatar that much? It did exactly that, but I'm not seeing your reasoning.

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

sorry for the epic bump, but I finally got to watch this one over the weekend.

I was really astounded by it, the acting was amazing. The story was as real immersive, had that feeling of documentary yet still a story enough to make you feel like you were the 4th soldier in the room and in the action the whole time. Its been a while since I've seen a war movie this well done, especially one set in modern times.

its not often at all that I give movies the full 5 stars on netflix... this one got the 5th star from me.

8. Bubbles

Bubbles I ♥ Haters

Well, I've seen both Avatar and Hurt Locker. The thing with Avatar is that (and you can kick my ass for this) it focuses too much on special effects and less on the story. To be honest, I kinda hated Avatar. To me Avatar is like kinda Twilight - its over hyped and its really not that great. Don't get me wrong, but it was just too flashy for my taste.

I had a chance to see The Hurt Locker on plane to India last year, and it was simply brilliant. It managed to do everything that Avatar did, but without focusing so much on SFX. And besides Jeremy Renner is probably one of the best actors in Hollywood today.

9. konboye

konboye Registered Member

Now twilight has one of the worse story lines and the writer is close to childish. I just don't get the hype, its a terrible terrible movie. I get it that teens like it cos of the romance and the gorgeous cast, apart from that, its just garbage.

I am thinking the director for avatar had a hard time with the adaptation, i know its Cameron but there are holes in it, not as much as Twilight's but still. Hurt Locker is just a classic, timeless movie much like Saving Private Ryan. Its a kind of like a documentary of a soldiers life in the Iraq war. Its a lot of things and will be referenced from time to time in military circles.

10. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I loved The Hurt Locker. I still haven't seen Avatar because the entire premise of the movie doesn't interest me. THL was very well written, directed, and acted. The movie was damn good all around.