The History of Geocaching

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Nightsurfer, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Here is the link to the main Geo site. Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

Me and my oldest son have been Geoing for 3 years and we have a blast, it's a great way to get out of the house and spend time with the kid.

We have found things from Geo Bugs, Hot wheels, and small things plus the I found it book, then we leave things in the cache too. We leave comic book goodies, and geo coins in them when we find them.

If you are going to do this it is recommended that you put something in the cache after taking something, but you don't have to take anything from it if you don't want to.
    Just make sure to fill out the found it log, and then when you get home you post your findings plus coordinates to any caches you make and put in places.

We have over 30 that we have put out and we have found over 500 across the NS and SC areas.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

It's a modern day treasure hunt! That is pretty cool.

I don't have a GPS system of any type though so I can't do anything like this, yet. This would be fun to hide things in the mountains though.

What type of GPS device do you use? That would be pretty fun to try to find something by use of GPS, especially if it wasn't the easiest place to navigate such as some mountains or something.

3. bball4life

bball4life Alfred :: Gotham Hero

im actually very interrested in this, but i cant drive and i dont own a gps device. =(

4. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

I have a Garmin 600, I got it a few years back. Now a days you can get a GPS unit real cheap.

If you have GPS capabilities on your phone then you can use the new Phone GPS Geocaching maps, also if you have a Tom Tom you can use that too.

Most of the newer cell phones have the GPS built right in and are part of your plans.

It's alot of fun and addicting, you will find yourself planning your weekends around geocaching.

Hi_Im_Tim likes this.
  5. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I've been Geocaching for the past couple of years, it is pretty big here in VT. I'm not a huge fan of winter caching, but I do it now and again - I prefer large hikes during the fall, or number runs during the summer. I have around 480 finds, which is hardly anything, but is decent for a "part-time" cacher. Haha. I also love to hide them, that may be just as fun as finding them.

6. Konshentz

Konshentz Konshentz

I made it to over 600 before kind of fading out. I still do it for exercise, but it just isn't as fun anymore.