• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The He/She Prom Debate

JudyView

Registered Member
When can a he be a she/she be a he? Never, biologically. It is a power play, in my mind, when a he or she insists on being a prom queen or king of the opposite sex from which their chromosomes identify them as being. I think it is time to retire the crowns completely--they have simply become fodder for grandstanding, and belittle the few who genuinely struggle with "who they are".

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I've never been a fan of the whole prom king and queen nonsense anyway, it's nothing more than a popularity contest.

says the current member of the month...

However if a school will allow a transgendered individual to retain the title that does not belong to his or her biological gender, I think that it can be a good thing in terms of helping those who are struggling with their sexuality and/or being bullied for their sexual orientation. It would be an important symbolic recognition of that struggle.

JudyView

Registered Member
Good response, Jeanie. My concern is with why they insist on getting the crown over just trying to live their lives? It seems to me...forced and pushy and angry and manipulative.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
When I was like 19 or something, a lesbian girl was chosen as the king (or maybe queen, I forget) of my girlfriend-at-the-time's alternative high school's winter dance. It was pretty cool. Everyone seemed delighted with the situation. Nobody was harmed. No controversies erupted. Life went on. That's just how Portage Community Educational Center rolled.
------
JudyView said:
My concern is with why they insist on getting the crown over just trying to live their lives? It seems to me...forced and pushy and angry and manipulative.
Whose doing what now? The way I heard the tale (if it's the same one) is that students voted for their prom king, and got told their votes didn't count for no clear reason; which understandably upset them. Why did school facility give a damn about the matter? Seems they're the ones being pushy and manipulative.

Last edited:

JudyView

Registered Member
Expectant, I get the feeling, everytime I read about this particular situation, that the "s/he" is trying to claim that "s/he" is more of a "s/he" than the she/he who is biologically she or he, and is demanding the crown! Demanding lol. It's ... strange and funny to me.

JaneSmith

Registered Member
Hi Judy, actually there are about 8 different sexes that babies are born as.
There are females, males. Then there are those born with both functioning organs and the parent has to decide. This is more common than you think, like one out of 100,000 or less. Then there are babies born with one dominant sex organ and the other one disfunctional. Then there are those born with two of the same organ... and so on.

So yes, there is a biological factor. We all aren't perfect at birth. And sometimes parents dont' even know of deformities because they are internal organs... so it's tricky. And then all those hormones and trying to fit the social norm.

So if a kid wants to go to the prom... they should be allowed to without judgement from someone who doesn't understand them.
jmho.

JudyView

Registered Member
Eight different sexes--even google couldn't pull anything up on that. Hermaphrodites are extremely rare, and I emphasize the word "extremely". My problem is with the clearly pushy "I deserve this" spit-in-your-face attitude that I worry is being encouraged by those with an agenda who don't really care about the people they are encouraging.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
What agenda would that be? Acceptance? Freedom from bullying and intolerance?

JudyView

Registered Member
Acceptance and freedom from bullying are not achieved by bullying and out-there aggressive behavior. I think these children are being used.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I disagree with you that this is what's going on. There is no aggressive behavior going on here. If that's the case, whom do you allege is perpetrating it? Who is using these children?