The "Hacker" Complex

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Seeing as we've had to suffer through several rather poor hack attempts lately, I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter.

What drives people to be hackers? Why would you ruin someone else's computer or a network of computers? It feels so wrong to damage something so convenient. To me, it speaks lengths about man's dual nature of destruction and creation. We make such amazing technology and build up great computers and systems and then there is always some scum bag who comes along and destroys it.

Have you known someone who has done this before? Insights? Viruses, keyloggers, etc.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Why do people become crackers? It depends on what their intent is. I presume white hat crackers decide to become one because they either (a) were black hat crackers turned good (because they were caught and jailed), or (b) want to help secure networks and websites.

Black hat crackers, I'm not too sure. Maybe they do it for the challenge, maybe they do it because they think some people are too stupid to properly secure their system. Or maybe they do it because they like being asshats.

Now, grey hat crackers, they interest me. Crackers who use white hat and black hat methods. Why do some people become grey hat crackers? Maybe they want to be a mix of white hat and black hat. Maybe they want to help, but still cause a little trouble. Who knows?

The 'crackers' that really get under my skin, however, should not be called crackers/hackers under any circumstances. Who are these people? Script kiddies. When someone mentions the word hacker, you usually imagine a highly skilled individual who can, eventually, break into a large number of computer networks, or website servers. Script kiddies however just download a program that does the work for them, don't understand how the program works, and have the nerve to label themselves in the same group of people who actually know what they're doing. I think that these people can probably be dealt with by using one simple sentence: Try and hack me, my IP address is 127.0.0.1

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Any reasons why you call them crackers? I was laughing reading this because I couldn't stop thinking of crazy white people.

Script kiddies do sound a bit more dangerous.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I usually call them crackers because I'm used to the term hacker being used to refer to a highly skilled programmer, though I'm not really anal about it. Unlike someone I know from college...

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Well it depends on what kind of hacker it is, there are two kinds:

People who hack programs to turn them inside out for ease-of-use reasons, or if they're just curious as to how it works

Criminal hackers who wreck sites. Also there's a sub-branch of these guys that legally try to break networks for companies to help expose security vunerabilities before they're put on the internet.

The first people just want to be able to manipulate software for a variety of reasons, and are both skilled and helpful, as well as harmless (unless you developed the software). The second type usually are just really heavily angry at others and like to see suffering and chaos break free, or just enjoy making large companies look foolish by a single person.

Script kiddies are quite harmless unless they actually know how to implant the code they have available. I have a friend who is a complete script kiddie, but is pretty good at port scanning and such, and thus is more dangerous than the traditional SK.

raddmadd

Registered Member
Seeing as we've had to suffer through several rather poor hack attempts lately, I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter.

What drives people to be hackers? Why would you ruin someone else's computer or a network of computers? It feels so wrong to damage something so convenient. To me, it speaks lengths about man's dual nature of destruction and creation. We make such amazing technology and build up great computers and systems and then there is always some scum bag who comes along and destroys it.

Have you known someone who has done this before? Insights? Viruses, keyloggers, etc.
After i got a virus and it messed up my computer, I wouldn't want to do that to someone. I think that most people hack and destroy computers networks etc. because of pride. its like, you know how to destroy something, its there right in front of you and so easy, so you do it for pride, to be "1337" lol.

I

Impaired

A hacker is a knowledge seeker - a cracker is a criminal scum with intent to harm.

Basically, when a hacker hacked into your system - they would notify the admin (possibly in round about way) of the hole so they could patch it. Then they'd find a new way to break in.

Hackers are all about learning the holes and weaknesses and are not the ones out stealing credit card numbers.

There are, of cours,e exceptions.

To be honest, I've always been interested in hacking. Not in the sense of a cracker, but just being able to find holes in systems, and fixing them kind've thing. My dad is pretty good at it. I guess you could consider him a "gray hat cracker" he never really does anything, but I remember him trying to explain to me, when I was like 13, how he had hacked this guys computer in China, because the guy had pretty much destroyed my comp.

It's something I'd lvoe to be able to understand and do, but something I don't think I ever could.

G

GCMD

Crackers are bad.

Hackers are good..normally.

I have enough knowledge (self taught) to be a novice hacker. I hate programming so I could never seriously do this.

Unlimited access is a fun concept.

J

jtur88

They are the same people who, before there were computers, threw rocks through the eindows of vacant buildings or shot holes in road signs. Same people, same mentality, different era.