• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

    Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Grim Reality of Global Economics

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster

Whenever I mention that I have a beef with the way the economy is structured, the first thing that happens is some wealthy individual starts to argue the point with me. Here are the points in consolidated form. We need to change the system. The question is how? We still have the tools of democracy available to us only because the powers that be have learned that democracy is like a toy given to children with ADD. As long as they have it, they are content, but once they've played with it a couple of times, it's sits in the toybox.


This isn't a question of political affiliation. Democrats and Republicans polled agreed on how they think the distribution of wealth in society should fall. This is a question of accountability. A question of power and oversight. A question of need and provision. It isn't just lawyers, doctors, and accountants who need food on the table and a roof over their heads. How can we make things better for everyone? Before it can be possible to take back the 80% from the 1% have stolen from the rest of us, we who make up the 99% need to put aside our differences and understand the bigger picture. This isn't wealth earned in a fair and equitable manner in a fair and equitable system. That is the myth. That is the lie. If the law says it's okay for some to take more than their fair share is it not then still theft? For those relative few who still have plenty afterwards, does still having plenty make the theft okay?


... Your thoughts?



- Cham
 

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree the people at the top make way too much more than their average worker. However what do you do about it without turning into a communist country.

Part of the problem may be all these trade agreements, exit of US businesses because others will work for slave labor, a general switch in the job market. Now people are trying to make a living working in fast food joints, some with college degrees.
 

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Take back? Stolen? Were you and millions others millionaires and someone went into your home or seized your assets and took from you? If it wasn't yours to begin with, how could it be "taken back" or "stolen from" to begin with?

That's the underlying problem, the entitlement mentality that permeates the world now. These are the kinds of adults that result from the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.
 

Rapier

Well-Known Member
V.I.P.
Take back? Stolen? Were you and millions others millionaires and someone went into your home or seized your assets and took from you? If it wasn't yours to begin with, how could it be "taken back" or "stolen from" to begin with?

That's the underlying problem, the entitlement mentality that permeates the world now. These are the kinds of adults that result from the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.
Regurgitated sour vomit. The rational of bullyism long thought to be extinct since the Low Low Forehead Age.
 

Rapier

Well-Known Member
V.I.P.

Whenever I mention that I have a beef with the way the economy is structured, the first thing that happens is some wealthy individual starts to argue the point with me. Here are the points in consolidated form. We need to change the system. The question is how? We still have the tools of democracy available to us only because the powers that be have learned that democracy is like a toy given to children with ADD. As long as they have it, they are content, but once they've played with it a couple of times, it's sits in the toybox.


This isn't a question of political affiliation. Democrats and Republicans polled agreed on how they think the distribution of wealth in society should fall. This is a question of accountability. A question of power and oversight. A question of need and provision. It isn't just lawyers, doctors, and accountants who need food on the table and a roof over their heads. How can we make things better for everyone? Before it can be possible to take back the 80% from the 1% have stolen from the rest of us, we who make up the 99% need to put aside our differences and understand the bigger picture. This isn't wealth earned in a fair and equitable manner in a fair and equitable system. That is the myth. That is the lie. If the law says it's okay for some to take more than their fair share is it not then still theft? For those relative few who still have plenty afterwards, does still having plenty make the theft okay?


... Your thoughts?



- Cham


What is it, 60% of Americans bring in $30,000 a year?
It's the apportioning of the pie.




http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/Household-Income-Distribution.php





 

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I understand that the people at the top have received a lot of ill-gotten gain. Some of it due to outsourcing, some due to record low interest rates that award people that play the market and punish people that save, some due to unfair hiring practices, some due to crony capitalist (in 2008 we gave the politically connected a trillion dollars to spur the economy that just disappeared).

But as bad as things are we are living in an entrepreneur economy that our parents and grandparents could have never imagined. If you have a car and a smart phone, you can drive for Uber or Lyft and make decent money. If you have a place to stay and a town that people like to visit, you can rent your house on airbnb.

20 years ago if only had drive and an idea for a business you'd have to sit in front of a banker and beg for money. He may turn you down because he can't understand your business or you're not white or he's just not in the mood. Today you can get 10,000 people to loan you $1 to start your business. Or you can charge it all to a credit card that has 0% interest for 12 months.

You can use the internet for free to do due diligence and opposition research on a business you are interested in. Yes the world is full of red tape bureaucracy, but in most towns you can get a business license for $50 and start selling.

The days of finding a good job that pays well for 30 years is over and I think a lot of people don't realize that. But there's never been a better time to cut your own path and find success that way.
 

Rapier

Well-Known Member
V.I.P.
The days of finding a good job that pays well for 30 years is over and I think a lot of people don't realize that. But there's never been a better time to cut your own path and find success that way.
Which is what the problem actually is. Union sweat and hardship built a middle class that enabled workers, union and non union, to enjoy the fruits of their labors starting around 1970. That lasted about 20 years.
 

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Regurgitated sour vomit. The rational of bullyism long thought to be extinct since the Low Low Forehead Age.
Pretty much the jibberish I expected. I should point out I'm not the one whining about what other people have like a 12 year old girl.
 

Rapier

Well-Known Member
V.I.P.
Pretty much the jibberish I expected. I should point out I'm not the one whining about what other people have like a 12 year old girl.
LOL That's a kick coming from the type A of occupational parasites.
 

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
LOL That's a kick coming from the type A of occupational parasites.
I am a Type A all right, maybe if more lazy fucks like you would exhibit some of those same qualities I wouldn't have to pay so much in taxes to support you, and the stats you posted would change.

EDIT: I should add, how can someone be an occupational parasite? Isn't people employed wanted, since they pay taxes and contribute to society? I swear, dime store intellectuals making up words these days that if they had a working knowledge of proper grammar would understand how nonsensical these made up phrases are, is getting out of control.
 
Last edited:
Top