• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Greatest Pitching Staff of All Time

Rapier

V.I.P.
With the recent Phillie's signing of Cliff Lee Charlie is claiming their staff is superior to the Glavine led Braves.

I doubt it. Neither get my vote. What say you?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Only time will tell how well the rotation of the Phillies in the next few years will fair. I do believe thay have something special right now and have a good chance to be one of the all-time greatest.

That said, no one beats the Braves in 1997, you have Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and Neagle. All of them had incredible year, amounting over 200 innings each. They're on top of my list right now.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
It can't be this batch of Phillies until the season has been played. You can't crown them on paper alone.

Oswalt might revert back to how he finished up in Houston, you never know. Let's wait and see but the potential is certainly there.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
One thing I wanted to add. Rapier you said in your post:

Glavine led Braves

Just wondering, did you choose Glavine because you think he was the leader of that staff, or you just picked someone? I for one believe that Greg Maddux was the ace of that staff, and it's not really debateable.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think there's any doubt Maddux was the leader of that staff as well. Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux were all around the same age but Maddux was the class of the staff. We're talking about a guy who only allowed 9 home runs all season and walked TWENTY. His control was off the charts.

I remember one game the Cards were playing the Braves and Maddux walked one of our guys. For some reason they showed Maddux' reaction in slow motion and you could clearly read his lips..."hey, fuck you." The man just didn't walk people, he was the leader and he was unhittable during that period of time.

So yeah, let's wait and see on Philly. They've done nothing together yet.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
It's hard to judge. Rapier's post makes sense... the Braves had it going on back then.

Wade8813

Registered Member
It's possible there are better staffs that I can't think of, but the one off the top of my head would definitely be the mid-90's Braves.

And Maddux is in the argument for Best Pitcher EVER. Glavine was great, but not that great.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here are some good ones from the past:

-Indians in '51: Bob Feller, Mike Garcia and Early Wynn all won at least 20 games.
-Mid 60's Dodgers: Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale. Enough said
-1905-07 Chicago Cubs: Buttons Briggs, Mordecai "Three Finger" Brown, Carl Lundgren, Ed Reulbach, Jake Weimer and Bob Wicker. All had an ERA+ above 120.
-'27 Yankees: Waite Hoyt, Herb Pennock and Urban Shocker

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
When I saw the thread title I immediate thought of the Braves in the mid-90's with Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and company. No other pitching staff really even comes close over the last 20-30 years or so.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I think it was the '71 Orioles that had four 20 game winners. I don't think that will ever be topped.

Glavin and the Braves was an amazing staff.