• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The greatest NBA individual season for a player?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Welcome to 1988.

I've been doing a little research lately and this season always stands out for me as arguably the greatest single individual season for a player...all-time. This picture is the quintessential image of Michael Jordan circa 1988. Therefore, I beg the question. Is this the greatest season ever for a player? Peep the math. Peep the accolades.
35.0 points, 5.9 assists, 5.5 rebounds, 3.2 steals, 1.6 blocks, 53.5 fg%, 84.1 ft%.
NBA MVP. Defensive Player of the Year. NBA Steals Champion. NBA Scoring Champion. First Team All-NBA. First Team All-Defense. All-Star Game MVP. NBA Slam Dunk Champion.
or...

The 1961-1962 for Wilton should summed up with this photo above. In this season he did NOT win the NBA MVP. It went to Bill Russell. What he DID do was score 50.4 points per game and grabbed 25.2 rebounds. On March 2, he scored 100 points shooting 36-63 from the field, 28-32 from the free throw line, and grabbed 32 rebounds. He totaled an unprecendented (still) 4,029 points. He also grabbed over 2000 rebounds that season. For comparison, Kobe Bryant SCORED a total of 1938 points in 2004-2005 season. He averaged 48.5 minutes per game. Yes, read that again if necessary. He totaled 3,882 minutes of his teams 3,890 minutes on the floor that season. Chamberlain would have hit the 3,890 minute mark if he had not been ejected in one game after picking up his second technical foul with 8 minutes left to play in a particular game. In addition to Chamberlain's regular season accomplishments, he scored 42 points in the 1962' all-star game (still the all-time record) on 17–23 shooting and pulled down 24 rebounds. An amazing year for an amazing player.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't know what year Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'd have to go with that. It's something that will never be done again.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah that was in 1961-62 where he averaged 30.8ppg, 12.5 RPG and 11.4APG. That's definitely up there for one of the great season ever by an individual, but I wouldn't bne surprised if LeBron achieves it one year. He's been close before.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Lebron has never been close. He's never averaged 8 rebounds or 8 assists over the course of an entire season. There's a pretty big leap from the 6 or 7 he averages to 10.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
That is a sick picture of MJ by the way. must be the shoes..or the camera angle.

Based on the OP, I'd go with MJ just cause I'm biased and by the fact that it's impossible to pick. :lol: I heard that that 100 point game was helped largely by insane amount of free throws, but still. 100 points :shocked: I also heard that Wilt is the only guy to ever get 20-20-20 in a game. I think that's impossible nowadays.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I don't know what year Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double and I'm too lazy to look it up, but I'd have to go with that. It's something that will never be done again.
Plus he came close to averaging a triple double two other times in his career. I listed him in my top 5 players of all time, I think he's overlooked. He was a phenominal player.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BigBob NBA 0
Babe_Ruth NBA 1
Babe_Ruth NBA 1
L NBA 14
oxyMORON NBA 3