The Great Kaz answers all Questions about far-flung religions.

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Kazmarov, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on strange religions, so I want to open up a forum for people to ask about religions that they've heard of, but don't know anything about.

2. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

It's not that I don't know anything about it, but Scientology is one strange, stange religion. If you want to call it that.

3. Kazmarov

Well Scientology is an evolution of Dianetics, which was a system created by L Ron Hubbard that talked about the immortal soul, or Thetan. In fact the parts about Xenu and the hydrogen bombs in Volcanoes is not the biggest part of the faith. However, it is true that it's become rather infamous, as it engaged in a huge-scale infiltration of the government to destroy evidence against the Church, and also tried to make it look like one of their biggest critics made bomb threats.

4. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Undead Intellectual

That's all good, but it sounds like a Star Trec episode gone bad to me still.

5. WindAndConfusion

WindAndConfusion Registered Member

6. Kazmarov

Cargo cults are Pacific island beliefs in the magical properties of industrial goods. They construct airstrips in an attempt to get cargo planes to airdrop such goods where they live, like they did during World War II. Notable pop culture instances of this are the Coke bottle in The Gods Must Be Crazy and the New Guinean's question in Guns, Germs, and Steel. The main point of G, G and S is that goods and resources are not distributed evenly, which is a central point of Cargo cults (the white people have too much of it).

MenInTights likes this.
  7. GW in Ohio

GW in Ohio Guest

Kaz: Tell me what you know about Adidam.

8. Kazmarov

Adidam is a cult surronding the personality of Jamaican Adi Da, who believes he is a divine incarnation, who has reached the final (seventh) stage of realization, ahead of other famous religious figures. It is vaugely pantheistic in nature, and claims two thousand members worldwide.

Essientally another guru-lead new age cult.

9. GW in Ohio

GW in Ohio Guest

You're basically correct about Adidam, Kaz. But Adi Da is not Jamaican; he's an American, born Franklin Jones in Queens, NY in 1939.

Rather than pantheistic, Adi Da has created a fusion of Buddhism and Hinduism. He's also freely borrowed ideas from Ramana Maharshi and other genuine realizers, without acknowledging them.

These days, he divides his time between a remote island in the South Pacific (Naitauba) and his palatial ashram in northern California.

10. Ah, no, I believe you are incorrect. He was born in Jamaica, New York. Technically, Kaz is right.