• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Religion The good or the bad number

ReasontoBelieve

Registered Member
Hi when I was growing up the number 13 was considered a number of bad luck. All this watch out for Friday the 13th. Even to say a movie made Friday the 13th. To even go further some buildings do not even have a 13th floor. Sometimes 1 am as the witching hour.

On the other hand 13 has been known as a good number the 13 first colonies. I heard that in the military they fold the flag times. I also once here that Jesus was considered the 13th of the 12 disciples.

So I am confused then. What should one consider the number13? Does it represent a bad number? Or was it that thirteen was attacked just because Jesus was the 13th among the disciples? Did 13 become bad because Satan wanted to twist its meaning?

Or is 13 rather a receptacle number representing the 13 colonies and Jesus among the 12 disciples? So do you believe this number represents a bad image or anything to do with witchcraft of Satanism? Or is 13 actually a good number. Only that it was attacked just to make it look like a bad number. I hate this number looking like both the good and bad guy. If only one was truer than the other. What do you think?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It's just a mix of two older superstitions. Friday and the number 13 were long considered to be unlucky (like a black cat or walking under a ladder). In the 1800's the superstition became Friday the 13th.

I don't believe in any of these superstitions. Half of the time I don't even notice when Friday happens to be the 13th.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think it really represents witchcraft or satan it's just a number and its not good or bad. I know a lot of people think its bad that's why hotels don't have a room number 13 because of superstitious people but even if its doesn't have the number on the door its still the 13th room on they call it 14..

Taliesin

Registered Member
Numbers are just that. Numbers. They're arithmetical values that can be conveyed with a word or figure or some such. You use them to count with and do other tricky mathematical things that help make the world go round. I therefore have a hard time believing that they possess some kind of mystical power or meaning - benevolent or otherwise.

Having said that, I always wanted to live at an address with the number 666, just for the hell of it. :D

Reactions: Doc

Sim

Registered Member
My phone number includes the numbers "666", so each time I tell someone my number, I use a scary voice. ;)

dDave

V.I.P.
Sometimes archetypal numbers have real meaning, sometimes they don't and they've simply had meaning attributed to them through dumb luck and superstition.

I actually agree with Sim, I was going to bring up 666. If you want to talk about a number that is widely considered to be evil it would be the Mark of the Beast, aka the number of man.

I think 13 being a bad number is simply superstition and nothing more.

Some buildings simply skip the 13th flood, some streets skip house number 13 on purpose. Sometimes we'll even get 13 full moons in a year. There are also ties to Persian culture as well as the fall of the Byzantine Empire.

Apparently Norway accidentally skipped county #13 in their system and they claim it was nothing more than an accident. :lol:

There's also a connection to Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy 42 ( 6 base13 × 9 base 3 = 42 base13) The author claims it to be an accident.

Honestly. I find a lot of the superstition with the number 13 to be comical. Other tie ins with the number 13 are representative of truly horrible historical events.

I still think it's just a number. You could find anything bad about just about any number if you looked hard enough.

Sim

Registered Member
Somewhere, I read that the combination "friday" and 13th is the most common combination of dates/days, and friday 13ths appears more often per year than any other combination.

So the chance that anything special happens on a friday 13th is mathematically higher than any other day. :)

Another special number is 23. As far as I know, it plays a vital role in many conspiracy theories about Illuminati and/or Free Masons. Allegedly, it's the Free Mason's special number.

That's why you find this number rather often ... there is a tobacco brand in Germany, for example, called "Ernte 23". And the Federal Republic of Germany was founded on May 23th 1949 -- May is 5, and 5 is the checksum of 23. And when you form the checksum of 1949, you get -- 23! :)

dDave

V.I.P.
Somewhere, I read that the combination "friday" and 13th is the most common combination of dates/days, and friday 13ths appears more often per year than any other combination.

So the chance that anything special happens on a friday 13th is mathematically higher than any other day. :)

Another special number is 23. As far as I know, it plays a vital role in many conspiracy theories about Illuminati and/or Free Masons. Allegedly, it's the Free Mason's special number.

That's why you find this number rather often ... there is a tobacco brand in Germany, for example, called "Ernte 23". And the Federal Republic of Germany was founded on May 23th 1949 -- May is 5, and 5 is the checksum of 23. And when you form the checksum of 1949, you get -- 23! :)
But just think about this. Thursday the 12th, Wednesday the 11th, Tuesday the 10th, etc. are all JUST as common. There is no most common date.

That's interesting about the free masons. I didn't know that.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.

There is some evidence Friday the 13th stems from France, with backing from the Vatican, arrested and charged most of the members of the Knights Templar with things like heresy and witchcraft. Many of them were burned after forced confessions. I believe the date it all started on Friday October 13, 1307, I believe the date was. Interestingly Grand Master Jacque De Molay, right before he was burned, made a prediction those who condemned them would join them in death, and within a year Pope Clement and King Philip both died.

Reactions: Sim