Hockey The Golden Knights

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
No no no this isn't a wow look at how good this expansion team is doing!

I wanna know why this team is called the Vegas Golden Knights and not the Las Vegas Golden Knights. I cannot seem to find out the reason and while this doesn't deserve its own thread necessarily, I need to know and people need to know how damn annoying it is.

The city is LAS VEGAS...not Vegas. What is Vegas? Anybody know the reasoning?

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
I musta have overlooked this entry in wikipedia but there was a reason given and watch out folks, its a fucking terrible reason...

"Las" was omitted from the team's name because, according to Foley, residents tend to refer to the city simply as "Vegas", and because a four-word name would have been too long.[33]"

I will never call this team the Vegas Golden Knights...it be like calling the Blues the Louis Blues...doesn't make any damn sense. Why do things like this annoy me so much.

Unity

Flawless Victory
Staff member
It's not a big deal to me. Las Vegas has had the nickname of Vegas for years upon years, not just for insiders. People never say "let's go to Louis!" Well...not that people want to come to our city very often...but still.

Side note: I was telling Millz that I love the logo and kind of want to get a cap haha. But they're one of our rivals in the Wester Conference...different division, at least. The fantasy nerd in me can't help it! It's badass! haha

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
I mean if San Francisco gets a team will they name it the Frisco Earthquakes? I mean people call San Francisco, Frisco, all the time. Oh wait or we can call them the San Fran Quakes! Yeah! That makes sense too!

Actually, while we're at it, let's call the Kings the LA Kings instead of the Los Angeles Kings. I could go on and on and on with different examples that are basically the same as the LAS Vegas Golden Showers. I mean Knights.

Last edited: