Movies The Golden Compass

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by SenatorB, Dec 9, 2007.

1. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

I've gotta say, I really liked the books, and I was waiting in anticipation for this movie ever since I heard about it coming out. Just saw it last night, and, well, it was pretty good... not amazing, I wouldn't say as good as the book (when is it ever?), but good.

All the CG was gorgeous, and even though there was a lot of it, it didn't feel like it was going overboard with it. I was kind of disappointed how they changed some of the plot things (removed a lot of the religious connotation... if they get to the third book, I can't help but wonder how they're gonna get around the fact that they kill god), and I dont think they put enough emphasis on some aspects of the person-daemon relationship... but for the most part, they did a good job staying true to the book. I thought it was really really well cast, and the girl who played Lyra did a great job. Overall, definitely worth seeing, especially if you liked the books.

Anyone else seen it yet, or hoping to see it? Thoughts?

2. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

I don't know, I am a religious person, so part of me says no because they kill god. But the other one says you don't believe in that, but niether did you believe in the Da Vinci Code, yet I went to see that one, and it was a good MOVIE. I am not sure what I will do yet, more later.

3. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

When it comes down to it, no matter how religious you are, it's FICTION. They're neither saying that those things do happen, nor that they should happen, in real life... it's just how they happen in the book/movie, as part of the plot. People get too caught up in themselves sometimes to realize that it's meant as an enjoyable story, and not as commentary on life.

4. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

I know, but some people do believe stuff like this. Take the Da Vinci Code, it is a fictional story also but some of the people do believe in it for real.

5. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

There's a facebook group against it. Silly if you ask me. I won't have time to see it anywhere in the near future, but it's on my list...

6. SenatorB

SenatorB J.S.P.S

It's pretty epic, one of those movies that has a lot to gain from seeing it in theaters instead of on dvd or downloaded.

7. red_ranger

red_ranger Registered Member

I think it's atheism, a belief of the Non-Existence of God....

8. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

Loved it! I really got into this movie and the second one looks like it will be even better! I can't wait for the next one!

9. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

Haven't seen it yet, sounds decent to me. Might go to see it next week.

10. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I'll be going to see it later on today with my friend. I'll tell you guys what I think of it when I get back. :D