• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
This is supposedly quite a well known film but I only came across it a few months ago. I had no plans this evening so thought I'd check it out. It was nice, quite light and easy to watch. It didn't exactly blow my mind but I definitely enjoyed it.

At the end you're given the impression that somehow they'll meet again in the future although I don't really see how that's possible. The time era he came from seemed to be way, way off and she has no more leaps left or any other way to leap. Maybe I missed something?

Reading up on it, I thought it was cool that this is sort of a sequel to the book and older live action series and films.

So has anyone else here watched it? I'm thinking about checking out Summer Wars now too which is done by the same directer.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
One of my favorite movies!

No one personally recommended it to me but it was featured in a French award event for Anime in 2008 so I bought the DVD when it came out. Both writer and director did Summer Wars. I just watched that this year too, not bad but I prefer TGWLTT.

One of the scenes I found really funny from that movie...

when they were riding the bicycle and she had many occasions to not deal with the love confession :rofl:

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
It's a fun little film, i actually discovered the live action version in HMV the other day.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
BUMP:

I just watched Summer Wars and thought it was amazing. It was a bit more up my street than GWLTT. It felt like some weird Tenchi muyo / Digimon hybrid but it worked really well. Also the animation blew me away, I just wish I understood that Koi Koi game now :lol:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Haha, I still don't get the koi koi game. I assumed it's like poker or pairs, i dunno :lol:. It's your task to find a simple explanation to this!

Taliesin

Registered Member
I absolutely adore The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I really appreciated that they kept the time travel element firmly grounded in the main character's everyday mundane life... usually these stories become a "must save the world" thing that takes the focus away from the characters themselves.

Have yet to check out Summer Wars. I am hopeful that this will be another fave though.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I absolutely adore The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I really appreciated that they kept the time travel element firmly grounded in the main character's everyday mundane life... usually these stories become a "must save the world" thing that takes the focus away from the characters themselves.

Have yet to check out Summer Wars. I am hopeful that this will be another fave though.
That is so true. They could have well used the powers to save the world but in reality, anyone who realises they have that ability will surely first use it for their personal objectives. And maybe that's one of the things I found hilarious about this because I can imagine myself using it the same way, at her age and situation.

Taliesin

Registered Member
That is so true. They could have well used the powers to save the world but in reality, anyone who realises they have that ability will surely first use it for their personal objectives. And maybe that's one of the things I found hilarious about this because I can imagine myself using it the same way, at her age and situation.
Exactly. That's why the story felt "real" to me, despite the fantastical elements. Her motivations were motivations that any of us might have if we found ourselves in the same situation.