• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hmmm... The future of Yahoo?

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I can't remember when Google came onto the scene, I know the date (it was 1998) but I can't actually remember using it, I am not sure why I used Yahoo over Google but I know that I did, I also know I started using Yahoo Mail over MSN Mail when I got sick of MSN Mail.

A little while ago Jerry Yang (one of the co-founders of Yahoo) left the company, it wasn't sighted exactly why he left the company but one can only assume that it is due to Yahoos market slipping. This is a sad day in my opinion, its not that I have any special reverence to the guy but I think it is always sad when a founder leaves a group for whatever reason.

The thing is I really don't see where Yahoo has to go, love it or hate it Google is holding the market on its down, MSN is trying with Bing but I really don't see it taking over. Google is trying everything it can to beat the competition with Chrome, the Chrome Book, the Nexus, Android & Google + and I really can't see Google going anywhere anytime soon.

I do think it would be sad if we lost Yahoo, it was one of the first sites that really broke boundaries online, it was the first place I discovered Chat functions & forums and whilst I didn't use it right away Yahoo email for a long time was one of the best on the market.

Do you still use Yahoo in anyway? Do you see it surviving much longer? Is Yahoo a dying product that would be best going with dignity?

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I still don't know why Yahoo is operating and functioning??
I never go to Yahoo's website. Ever!
I have really forgotten about it and I don't know what's the point of Yahooin when there's Google.
The only thing I like about Yahoo is the Ask&Answer section where you get instant response about questions you make. Even this, has deteriorated because people don't seem to care about using it anymore.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Yahoo used to be my favorite, but Google quickly took that over in the email department. If yahoo and hotmail would take better precautions against spamming type email, I would probably use them. However, I feel that gmail is just so more superior than either of those choices.

I do still love yahoo, though. I used to use their Ask section a lot to answer people's questions, like Elly had mentioned. I also use their online games constantly. I'm addicted to a card game they have on there called pyramids. Every time I get in a room I check everyone's averages and make sure mine is always the highest. Most people average around 10k-12k points, and I try hard to keep mine above 13k. This is what I do when I watch TV at home, I also play on there. lol

Once, Danny (Smelnyk) saw on yahoo IM that I was playing some game, so he clicks on the link and gets directly into my room. He starts typing in the chat and I was like...omgwtfbbq creeper! It was funny.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I don't know. Looking at their stock price, it was down below $5 per share in 2002, then shot up to over $40 in 2005 and was still almost $30 as late as 2008. Over the last 6 months, it's been between $10 and $16, which isn't amazing but isn't terrible either.

Kamani-Kenya

Registered Member
The stock has been plummeting for about three years, and Google keeps coming up with bigger and brighter ways to do things. I like yahoo a lot better then Google, I find it easier to navigate and I think that Yahoo will eventually raise to the top again.

StewedParrot

Registered Member
until flickr (owned by yahoo) and yahoo answers get real competition in their niche, i don't see them slipping away. I do agree that yahoo mail and their other services are becoming more and more useless though. I hate yahoo mail. I used hotmail and live before i fell in love with gmail.

Last edited:

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
until flickr (owned by yahoo) and yahoo answers get real competition in their niche, i don't see them slipping away. I do agree that yahoo mail and their other services are becoming more and more useless though. I hate yahoo mail. I used hotmail and live before i fell in love with gmail.
oh yeah, yahoo answers is a life saver. It saves so much time if you happen to find your exact question.

Yahoo also has a better fantasy football/sports system, imo, but it's pretty sad when you search "maps" in yahoo and it just tells you to go to google maps.

tech1o1

Yahoo's future = BK! I think the reason most people were using Yahoo back in the day was their TV commercials, "do you Yahoooooo?"

They also are not helping themselves by failing to protect people who use their email service, out of the people that I know 50 so far have had their email accounts compromised.

hitsandy

Registered Member
Previous days the Yahoo is best in all services, Now the Google beat the all the Search and mail services in World.