• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Future of MMORPGs

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I recently just finished playing some of the DC Universe beta on my rig and that led me to this question...

What do you think is the future of MMORPGs, not necessarily in the NEAR future but in the FAR future. Will a jump be made over to the consoles? Will WoW rule the landscape of PC MMORPGs in the near future or will The Old Republic, The Agency, or a yet unannounced title jump and actually cause some competition for the king of the PC MMORPGs?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Will a jump be made over to the consoles? Will WoW rule the landscape of PC MMORPGs in the near future or will The Old Republic, The Agency, or a yet unannounced title jump and actually cause some competition for the king of the PC MMORPGs?
Mag has already tried it.... Zipper has set the grounds and shown that its without a doubt doable.

MAG was officially a MMOFPS boasting 256 people in a single match

Zipper even has Paid Subscriptions, costs $5 a month to have an alternate account (Max of 3). DLC is patched through and charged much like an Expansion.

So do I think MMO's are going to invade the Consoles... well hell yeah I do, hell they already are starting to. At least the consoles that can support 'em ;)

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
DC Universe will the big test for the PS3... and when the 360 get Champions Online?

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
It is going to be a tough test for consoles. I remember when Final Fantsy 11 came out for the 360 it literally took 10 plus gigs to install the damn game onto your XBox, not to mention it took almost 4 or 5 hours to install the game. So XBox first attempt was a failure. But gameplay wise it did it's job but you were using the PlayOnline servers. What consoles need to do before bringing in a MMO is to have there own servers for it. If not, you are going to have to download the game onto your console and most console users probably don't want to do that. But if Sony and Microsoft decide to get there own servers for MMOs it could change the MMO industry.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
They really have no choice BUT to do it.

With the emergence of "OnLive Gaming" which is scheduled to make a big Netflix-esque impact on the gaming market this year... Sony and Microsoft have no choice but to adapt. OnLive will provide those PC MMO's via a Console... the PS3 and the 360 will have nothing to counter that type of competition if they stay their current routes. Routes in which I believe will lead them straight down the same path that Blockbuster fell to when Netflix hit its market.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
DC Universe will the big test for the PS3... and when the 360 get Champions Online?
I'm a big fan of super heroes, and a 360...soooo, it pains me to say that Champions did end up being canceled for the 360 a while ago!

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I'm a big fan of super heroes, and a 360...soooo, it pains me to say that Champions did end up being canceled for the 360 a while ago!
I missed that announcement... :sigh:

Hopefully something comes within this generation.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I missed that announcement... :sigh:

Hopefully something comes within this generation.
maybe not for the 360... But the PS3 already has a running, working MMO in MAG. This is where the argument between "which is better" starts to devise the difference between the PS3 and the 360.

In the long haul, the PS3 has always been stronger. But until Exclusives like Mag or other Future PS3 MMO's truly push that power... theres next to no difference between the two.