The Future of ECW

More gimmicks!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ProWrestling.net is reporting that WWE is still planning on overhauling the ECW brand, however the changes won't likely be made until after WrestleMania this year. Many SyFy executives have been pushing for WWE to make changes to the brand, and at this point the feeling is that the company will drop the ECW letters, rename the show, and focus it more on younger superstars, which is something WWE has already put into motion. It's also being said that SyFy is pushing for WWE to incorporate more Science Fiction oriented story lines, and conspiracy theory type angles.

SyFy is also unhappy with the low ratings ECW gets. The feeling is that if Raw, another show on cable television, gets ratings in the high 3's, ECW should get similar ratings.
Source: Big Update on WWE's Plans to Overhaul The ECW Brand - Wrestlezone.com

lol @ the bold part.

*imagines*

Guess we'll be seeing zombies, aliens and weird goo-like gimmicks popping up. Heck, we might even see the return of The Boogeyman, Gangrel, Mordicai and/or Glacier (Sub-Zero clone back in the early 90's(?)). While I know a lot of you don't like these crazy, wild gimmicks, and perfer the realistic wrestlers; I, for one and happy about this. If SyFy pushes WWE to create more bizarre gimmicky wrestlers, I'm all for it. woot~

Oh, and I take it this is the end of ECW, too. On to new and better things..., right? Do you think the new 'make over' will survive, do better or die out?

Last edited:

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Its not going to be the big of a deal I dont think. WWE isn't going to go ape shit crazy with any of those.

Remember the first new ECW show? They brought out the "Zombie" and then Sandman squashed him in a minute. Pretty much saying screw you Sci-Fi, we'll do what we want.

Its definitely time to change the name but I wouldnt do what Sci-Fi says...its WWE programming, afterall.

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
I forgot they were on the Sci fi network, I've always sort of wondered how ECW could even fit into that network at all haha.

Todays programming...

"X files, Firefly, Supernatural than ECW?"

Haha, makes me laugh.

The supposed new name for ECW:
Is NXT

Next Generation according to PWinsider
I actually like it. It sounds better than ECW. :)

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
I could see conspiracy theory storylines working without having to be sci-fi oriented, but they won't go in the other direction

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
NXT? That's kind of hard to say.

Maybe it'll grow on me though.

Unity

#WOKEN
Staff member
NXT? That's kind of hard to say.

Maybe it'll grow on me though.
I like the sound of it, I just wish that if it was a three letter thing that isn't an actual word it would stand for something wrestling. like WWE, WCW, etc.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It makes sense if you think about it since most of the wrestlers on ECW are the next generation of stars in the WWE.

But with that being said, it's still odd to me and will take some time to get use to.

Steven Wilson sent along the following:

Here's a Did you know fact for the WWE : There is already a NXT wrestling company, which also stands for NXT Generation. Their website can be viewed via THE NXT GENERATION | nxtwrestling.com

According to their site they have been around since 2008. The indy fed is based in Rutherglen, Scotland. They have their own wrestling school, produce DVD's and run shows on a fairly regular basis. The next show is scheduled to be this Saturday February 6th.

Apparently someone at the WWE didnt do their homework, or (more likely) they don't care.
Source: WWE's New Name For ECW On SyFy Brand Already Exists - Wrestlezone.com

lol

Now, I'm not too entirely sure about international copyright laws, but if they do get the NXT Generation to replace ECW wouldn't it be 'WWE NXT' instead of just 'NXT'? In that case, I don't think the Scotland NXT promotion can sue or take action.

Since NXT already exists in Scotland, if WWE decides to visit there they'll have to change the name to NXT-X or something?

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's kind of weird haha...

I mean its WWE RAW and WWE Smackdown so they could call it WWE NXT I guess.