The Future of Baseball: Bryce Harper

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Have any of you heard of this kid, 16 years old and he's slugging near 600 foot home runs.

Sports Illustrated put him on their cover, and they had this to say about him:

Still only 16, Harper stands 6'3", weighs 205 pounds, has faster bat speed than Mark McGwire in his prime and runs so fast that he scored on wild pitches six times this season from second base. As a catcher he picks off runners from his knees, and when he pitches, he throws a fastball that has been clocked at 96 mph.

Bryce Harper punches his ticket to Cooperstown at age 16 - Big League Stew - MLB - Yahoo! Sports
YouTube - Bryce Harper Highlight Video

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
well 570'... lol I rounded to 600 for "shock" effect :hah: but yeah, the kid looks like a stud and he's only 16! Friggin Sixteen!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's pretty crazy, I wonder how far he can hit a ball with a wooden bat.Also what position is he going to decide to play when he makes it to the majors. Pitcher or a an infielder/outfielder.Also Millz, it's possible to hit 600 feet home runs, Mantle and Ruth both did it. But they weren't 16 at the time.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
It was reported that they did...its hard for me to believe Mantle did but Mark McGwires longest was 545 feet. But none of that matters...this kid looks like a stud

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
of course there could always be the chance that he may just be a fluke or something. I mean even the article I provided was lovingly pointing out Sports Illustrated's horrid past in "Predicting" baseballs next Great One :hah:

Following in its grand tradition of predicting can't miss future superstars like Schea Cotton and Tamir Goodman, Sports Illustrated is using the cover of this week's magazine to tout the 16-year-old Las Vegas resident as "the most exciting prodigy since LeBron."

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't have time right now, but I'll find you pictures and proof that those two players hit shots over 600 feet.I don't mind if Sports Illustrated are doing this, because it gives us a chance to see if he's going to turn out in a few years.

Wade8813

Registered Member
It's a little scary that a 16 year old is that big - is he going to keep growing? And looks like he's about 30.

Although really, I'd be more inclined to say Strasburg is the future of baseball, since he's doing incredibly well at a higher level.

Also, who's the MORON who has this kid playing catcher AND pitcher? The two positions that destroy players' bodies . Playing him at catcher is stupid. Playing him as a pitcher is risky, but understandable, but isn't good when he's also catching.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well this kid will forgo his last two years of high school to enter the draft at 17. He will still be getting his GED though.
Could Harper be derailed on fast track?By Gordon Edes, Yahoo! Sports So, will we now see scores of 16-year-old kids rushing to emulate Bryce Harper, the Nevada teenager and Sports Illustrated cover boy who plans to forgo his last two years of high school to become eligible for the baseball draft next June?“I have always said,” Roy Clark, the veteran scouting director for the Atlanta Braves, wrote Tuesday in an email, “that no matter the ability a kid has at an early age, until he gets past that first driver’s license and first kiss, you don’t know how they will respond.”Clark has seen Harper play, but does not know him personally. “He’s got a chance to be special, ability-wise,” he said.He doesn’t have issues with Harper’s plan to earn his GED, enroll in junior college with his older brother and prepare for next year’s draft under the guidance of uber-agent Scott Boras. From a baseball standpoint, he probably wasn’t going to benefit from playing for his high school team.“Unfortunately,” Clark said, “when a kid is this good, opposing coaches won’t pitch to him, anyway.”And besides, Clark said, Harper is “definitely the rare exception.”Another National League scouting director, who asked that his name not be used because he didn’t want to provide Boras with more promotional material, has seen Harper on numerous occasions. This is what he says:“I scouted A-Rod, Chipper Jones(notes), Manny [Ramirez], all those guys in high school. God was very, very good to this kid. He’s stronger than they all were in high school. Never mind next year. If he’d been in the draft this year, he would have gone very, very high. You just don’t see a kid that age that advanced physically, with that strength.”But you already knew that. Harper is already being called baseball’s LeBron James. But is rushing him along dangerous?“If it was my son, would I do that?” the scouting director said. “No, I’d want him to be a kid. It’s the parents’ decision, they’re going in it with their eyes wide open, but I hope we don’t start seeing three, four, five kids a year thinking they can do this.”Gary Hughes, who has scouted for decades and now is a special assistant to Cubs GM Jim Hendry, has stronger feelings on Harper fast-forwarding his career.“Why?” he said. “Why not just be a kid? I think it’s sad what’s happening. Traveling squads for little kids, parents paying up to a thousand bucks for a weekend. I have a 10-year-old grandson who is a closer. A closer. I know one family where the parents are assessed 45 bucks per kid – they have two kids – for a session with a strength and conditioning coach. They’re 9 years old. I know it’s happening in all sports, but it’s pathetic.”It appears unlikely baseball will challenge Harper’s right to come out early, not when the industry is signing 16 year-olds in foreign countries, especially from the Dominican Republic and Venezuela. Hughes argues that it’s not a fair comparison. In the Dominican Republic, the majority of players don’t have the educational opportunities or career options available in the U.S. And the Dominican players who sign at 16 spend years at baseball academies on the island until they are physically and mentally ready to start climbing through the farm systems in the U.S.“Eventually, these kids are going to have to get out in the world,” Hughes said. “If [Harper] does become the Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle, great, then he doesn’t have to worry. But what if he doesn’t? There’s only one Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle.”Even if he flops, Harper will at least have something to fall back on: the multimillion-dollar bonus he is certain to receive upon being drafted. Finishing his education will always be an option.“He’s very impressive, no question,” Hughes said. “But he’s 16. He’s just out of the Babe Ruth League All-Star game, and now this? I think it’s ridiculous. Yes, this kid is physically advanced, but let him at least go to a [school dance].”

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think they pick young guys up in major sports way too early to be honest with you. Even a guy like Harper who shows all the promise of being either a 20 win ace or fifty homerun per season slugger should have to make it through the minors and prove himself.