The Future of Baseball: Bryce Harper

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by icegoat63, Jun 4, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Have any of you heard of this kid, 16 years old and he's slugging near 600 foot home runs.

[​IMG]

Sports Illustrated put him on their cover, and they had this to say about him:

YouTube - Bryce Harper Highlight Video

2. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

600 feet? No chance.

Well, I guess he is using an aluminum bat so maybe its possible.

3. icegoat63

well 570'... lol I rounded to 600 for "shock" effect :hah: but yeah, the kid looks like a stud and he's only 16! Friggin Sixteen!

4. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

That's pretty crazy, I wonder how far he can hit a ball with a wooden bat.Also what position is he going to decide to play when he makes it to the majors. Pitcher or a an infielder/outfielder.Also Millz, it's possible to hit 600 feet home runs, Mantle and Ruth both did it. But they weren't 16 at the time.

5. Millz

Millz LGB Staff Member V.I.P.

It was reported that they did...its hard for me to believe Mantle did but Mark McGwires longest was 545 feet. But none of that matters...this kid looks like a stud

6. icegoat63

of course there could always be the chance that he may just be a fluke or something. I mean even the article I provided was lovingly pointing out Sports Illustrated's horrid past in "Predicting" baseballs next Great One :hah:

7. Babe_Ruth

I don't have time right now, but I'll find you pictures and proof that those two players hit shots over 600 feet.I don't mind if Sports Illustrated are doing this, because it gives us a chance to see if he's going to turn out in a few years.

8. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

It's a little scary that a 16 year old is that big - is he going to keep growing? And looks like he's about 30.

Although really, I'd be more inclined to say Strasburg is the future of baseball, since he's doing incredibly well at a higher level.

Also, who's the MORON who has this kid playing catcher AND pitcher? The two positions that destroy players' bodies . Playing him at catcher is stupid. Playing him as a pitcher is risky, but understandable, but isn't good when he's also catching.

9. Babe_Ruth

Well this kid will forgo his last two years of high school to enter the draft at 17. He will still be getting his GED though.

10. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I think they pick young guys up in major sports way too early to be honest with you. Even a guy like Harper who shows all the promise of being either a 20 win ace or fifty homerun per season slugger should have to make it through the minors and prove himself.