The First Recipe You Ever Made

Discussion in 'Food & Beverage' started by kitchendame, Sep 16, 2010.

1. kitchendame

kitchendame Registered Member

The very first thing I ever remember making was a chocolate cake. I think I was about seven, and my twin sister and I did everything, with my mom directing the whole production. I can remember being nervous--not wanting to spill, to mis-measure, to under- or over-mix. It turned out great, and although mom was making sure we didn't fail at it, I still remember the sense of accomplishment--my twin and I made this, and I think that's why to this day I love to cook.

What about you? Was it something simple you decided to do yourself? Did you have help? Or was it later in life, when you realized that you had to create something or starve? Can you put the recipe here?

Chocolate Cake (yes I still have the original recipe)
    1/2 cup cocoa (dutch cocoa is the best)
    3/4 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup butter
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups sifted cake flour (non-rising)
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. vanilla
    3 egg whites, stiffly beaten
    --Mix cocoa in boiling water and stir till smooth. Cool. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add Cocoa mixture to creamed mixture. Sift flour, soda, and salt together. Add dry ingredients alternately with sour cream to first mixture, blending well between each addition. Add vanilla, fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Pour into cake pans lined with wax paper and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Makes two layers. Fill and frost with Chocolate Frosting: 3 cups icing sugar, 1/2 cup softened butter, 1 tsp. vanilla, and add a little milk while beating if consistency is too stiff.

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

The first thing I ever remember doing in the kitchen was baking with my Grandma. We used to make butterfly cakes all the time, so I'm assuming that's the first thing I ever baked pretty much by myself, with her supervision.

They looked exactly like this -->

[​IMG]

The only thing I wasn't allowed to do by myself was cut the 'wings' in half because I always screwed it up :( lol

Don't have the recipe, sorry, but it's no doubt just a generic one that you can find online.

3. kitchendame

Oh my goodness, we had in my childhood a baker that would bring his goods round to your door in a van; bread, cupcakes, pies, etc. Mom would always order the "butterfly cupcakes", which looked exactly like your picture. The filling was lemon curd. It was my favorite treat, because we so rarely got it--mom bought if for company, usually. Thanks for a nice trip back!

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

Aw, that's sweet! :) I've never even heard of or thought to put lemon curd inside them. We always just used plain old vanilla buttercream.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I'm more an artistic cook than a scientific baker so my first recipes are mostly fried dishes or pasta dish. I just can't recall which was the first. Then finally I did go with baking dishes like tarte aux épinards. By then, I have more appreciation of respecting time and temperature and tried apple pie, haha.

6. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

One of the first Recipes I ever followed would have been for Belgium Waffles.

I wanted to make 'em from scratch, so I did...and they came out horrible. :hah:

The lesson I learned from that is, the time I wasted trying to make it from scratch, I could have just bought Waffle Mix, made that and had the extra hour to do whatever else.

I remember my waffles ended up tasting to Bitter, like I had screwed up on the Baking Soda or something :hah:

7. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

The first thing I ever remember making was a cheeseburger meatloaf. It was when my mom decided that everyone needed to cook at least 1 day a week. So, that was my first night of cooking, but I was so young I know I needed help, and I got the recipe from my Diseny Goofy Cookbook...

I guess that is why the everyone has to cook didn't last long.

8. kitchendame

That's a great memory. I love the Disney Goofy Cookbook part--did you keep the cookbook?
    ------
    Do you cook regularly now? Or did the waffles destroy your zest for culinary experimentation?
    ------
    Holy smokes, to go from pasta or fried dishes to tarte aux epinards is quite a leap! I humbly confess I'm not sure what tarte aux epinards is... Do you have a recipe of it you can share?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Oh god yes I do. One might say I'm GF's resident Male Who Cooks the Most thats not a Professional Cook person guy thing.

I've ventured far far far from Waffles. Some of my best works of culinary art include;

-Shitake Miso Soup
    -Stuffed Mushrooms (of all sorts however the Blue Cheese was the biggest hit)
    -Enchilada Soup
    -Baked Garlic Pods (a perfect example of my love for "Keep it Simple, Stupid...less is more)
    -Chinese Chicken Omelette (Too hard to explain :hah:)
    - ...and many more (insert cheesy TV Grin here)

10. kitchendame

My kinda person. Do you have a specific, go-to recipe for those blue-cheese stuffed mushrooms? I would love to see it. No pressure. It's not as if I'll die without a blue-cheese stuffed mushroom recipe...maybe...