• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies The Fighter

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
YouTube - 'The Fighter' Trailer HD

My brother just showed me this new Christian Bale, Mark Wahlberg movie. It's a boxing movie based on a true story. I'm a huge fan of boxing movies and I enjoy Wahlberg and Bale. This movie looks pretty entertaining and looks like a good inspirational story. I'll probably end up going to see this when it comes out, which is sometime this month.

Seems like Bale lost a lot of weight for this movie, which he's done in the past for The Machinist back in '04.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I've seen the trailer a few times, this movie definitely has me interested. I like Bale & Wahlberg. I'm not sure if I'll see it in theaters, but I definitely do want to see it at some point.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've seen the trailers as well and it's definitely something I'm interested in seeing. If it gets good reviews then I wouldn't mind seeing it in the theater.

wolfheart

Registered Member
This looks like it may be good, Micky Ward had some major battles in the ring with Arturo Gatti, I for one am looking forward to seeing this.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This looks like a major critical success. I would love to see this.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This looks like it may be good, Micky Ward had some major battles in the ring with Arturo Gatti, I for one am looking forward to seeing this.
Wow! I didn't even put two and two together. I didn't even realize that this movie was based on Micky Ward, this makes me even more pumped about the film and the story. I wonder if there's going to be any mentions of Gatti in the film, I sure hope so.

I think Wahlberg is suited for these type of movies, and he's going to excel in it.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I saw this last night and it is an incredible movie. I loved it. Wahlberg did a great job but Christian Bale was fantastic as Dicky Ecklund. What a great movie, I highly recommend it. I saw a couple of the Ward/Gatti fights. This movie gave very good background on Ward's and Ecklund's upbringing and Ward's comeback. I really enjoyed this movie. I was a Ward fan to begin with, this movie made me even more so.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm hella interested in seeing this movie but I might have to wait until it's released at home. I'd much rather see True Grit first and, If I have to choose between the two, The Fighter is the one I can wait longer to see.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
I'm hella interested in seeing this movie but I might have to wait until it's released at home. I'd much rather see True Grit first and, If I have to choose between the two, The Fighter is the one I can wait longer to see.
True Grit was excellent. Just be sure to listen carefully cause they (especially Jeff's character) tend to mumble and lot and the Western accent and lingo can be hard to understand sometimes.

It was funny to hear the Bostonian accent in The Fighter, especially since I go to school there. It was a lot less Hollywood dramatic than I thought it would be, which in the end I thought was better since it was biographical. I thought all the characters were very well played. Amy Adams sounded pretty fine in that accent. :D "My name's Shawlene. We're togetha. Do I need to go over this again?"

wolfheart

Registered Member
I have just seen this and am very pleased that I did, Wahlberg was very convincing as Ward, in ring and out.
Bale was as good as ever as Ecklund, and the chemistry between the two was good.

The supporting cast was also very good.

The boxing scenes were shot very well, I liked the different camera angles as it made feel more like watching a televised fight than a movie.

Just a shame that the story never continued as I would have love to see them shoot a Ward vs Gatti bout.