The family of your s.o

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
-When do you think it's the moment to get to know the family of your partner?
-How much is it important to know their family?
-Would you accept to set a long term relationship/marriage even if you don't know their family?
-Would you like to know their family before or after dating/getting into a relationship with them?

storm_ina_C_cup

Registered Member
-Would you accept to set a long term relationship/marriage even if you don't know their family?
-Would you like to know their family before or after dating/getting into a relationship with them?
I think the appropriate time to meet your SO's family is after you've dated a while and have had time to build a relationship with your SO.
...Although there have been a few times where I had met the parents prior to getting involved due to being friends, first.

I find it quite important to know my SO's family if the relationship becomes serious... After all, they just may very well be a part of your family at some point in time time if you ever get married.

I don't know? From where I'm standing, I'd say probably not but that's only as a percausion to others. If my marriage to my husband wasn't strong and we wern't supportive of one another, we probably wouldn't have made it; his mother and sister caused us (and the rest of the family) alot of grief and heartache over the last few years and it will be 2 years this March since we've last spoken (apart from some arguement-provoking emails his mother had sent us from time-to-time in which we've pretty much ignored). So, I'd say that it is important that you know your future in-laws before you say "I do" or at least know that you and your partner can stick by eachother through thick and thin no matter what's thrown at you.

I always liked getting to know my SO's family after we've had time to establish our relationship because that way it gives me time to focus on just getting to know my partner before anyone else new.

Meeting someone else's family has always terrified me. Mine was so dysfunctional growing up, that I always worry that some of the crazy will spill from me as I'm sitting there in a nice, normal home.
I know I won't suddenly go off the deep end and attempt to burrow into the couch cushions, or swing from anything hanging from the ceiling, but the fear of being looked down on is still there.
As far as when to meet them? I'd say once you know you'll be sharing a future with your S.O.

Kibi

Babeasaurus Sex
Crikey!

I'm still friends with all my exes families so I must have done something right :)

The first time I met my most recent exes mum I was terrified and we were watching a show and I got hammered....and threw up. :( Worst night EVER!!!! However when I woke up the next morning (with no recollection) She was cooking me a bacon sandwhich had all my clothes washed and dried and her and her husband were laughing about the time she got trolleyed and poked his mum in the eye!!! LOL

We had been dating for three months before I met his family.

I don't think I could have a long term relationship and NOT know someones family UNLESS they weren't close or something.

When we got engaged his family threw us a party ad everything. And now even though we arent together his mum still refers to me as her daughter. Me and his sister are like best friends and I'm at their house more than he is! Lawl!

XxxX

Bliss

Sally Twit
As soon as you start to feel the relationship is actually going somewhere.

Very important if they are close with them because you would have to spend a lot of time with them too. A lot of people find it important that their family approve of their significant other and the significant other is going to want to know what kind of a family they could one day be joining.

Yes. Maybe they aren't particularly close with their family. I would obviously have a few questions but it wouldn't put me off. I'd want to be with them, not their family.

No. I'd rather be introduced after I'd made a good impression on my partner first.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
You can know the family of the partner without formal introduction. I do think that if you start hanging out with the family, officially as the gf, it should be done only when you see yourself being in a longterm relationship with your partner. On the other hand, knowing his family is not a prerequisite for me to set a long term reln with someone...unless I can sense that there's someone in that family who is extremely influential on my partner. I'd like to meet that person first, maybe to get approval, or maybe to get a feel of how it would be to deal with this person who will seem to be always present in our lives.