The Family in Islam

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by JUSTICE, Apr 11, 2008.

1. JUSTICE

JUSTICE New Member

In today’s rapid-paced life, we often tend to get so busy that we forget our parents’ rights. Family values have significantly dropped in our lives, and our friends often become more important to us than our own relatives.

What better can emphasize the good treatment of our parents than the following verse from the Qur’an (interpretation of the meaning) {And your Lord has commanded that you shall not serve (any) but Him, and goodness to your parents. If either or both of them reach old age with you, say not to them (so much as) "Ugh" nor rebuke them, and speak to them in honorable terms} [Qur'an Al-Israa 17:23]. There are two noteworthy conclusions that may be noticed from this verse. First, Allah the Exalted has called for good treatment of parents immediately after ordering us to worship Him. This proves the importance of being kind to our parents and the elevated status in which Allah (SWT) has placed parents in our lives. Second, He has ordered us not to utter even the least of inappropriate comments to them; thus it is very surprising that some people yell at their parents or even tell them to shut up.

Unity likes this.

2. look3467

look3467 Registered Member

Good words there Justice.

The Commandment to honor thy father and mother applies.

But let me add that commandments themselves have no life.

The Qur'an my give the guidance, but there are no life in those words.

Life comes from within us to abide in those words.

If we have life, those words are honorable, cherish-able and done as if there were no words.

Life begins in the heart regardless of what belief one espouses.

That life spurns love, and love covers a multitude of sins.

Having life is having God's kind of love, the unconditional kind which prompts us to live righteously.

If we love God, whatever God means to you, and love our neighbor, we have life.

Having God in our hearts which is the seat of His throne, where He finds rest, than we are of all people most blessed.

You a believer in the Qur'an and I in the bible, can have a wonderful brotherly, sisterly relationship due to the fact that we have life in us.

We worship the same God, you your way and I, my way, yet we both can have love one to another, respecting each others beliefs.

Peace>>>AJ

Unity likes this.
  3. JUSTICE

JUSTICE New Member

Dear look3467:
    thanks for your words,and the nice reply.