The Eternal Hero

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by Kazmarov, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

This is a English essay, as a spinoff of Canterbury Tales. This is supposed to be an aristocratic story, and I've chosen a myth/epic to tell. It's entirely fictional, though it has Beowulf and Leonidas influence.

I'm posting this on another forum, which is also a literary magazine, for suggestions of expansion into something more than the five pages I was constrained to.

Enjoy, it has no chapters, though when I expanded I will add them

The Eternal Hero

Centuries ago, there lived a hero of Greece that was without equal. His appellation was Platanius, King of Tenvel, and his accomplishments were many. Standing strong with flowing brown hair, he wielded an ancient sword that came from the forges of Hephaestus himself, which imbued him with a divine power. Platanius was a man of the greatest degree in both honor and fame, as he had slain many a bandit and won many a war. Fifty score he did exterminate in one contest, in defense of his kingdom. The King of Athens himself was indebted to him, for Platanius had killed the greatest assassin in the land to save him. And his life did end with one noble charge in the name of Greece, to lead his comrades to victory in a most vicious contest. In his wake was an empire without equal,that remained powerful for countless decades after his demise.

Platanius was born to the King of Tenvel, the noble and wise Leffenel. He grew up in the grandest of palaces, enjoying splendor and decadence that was among the grandest in all of Greece. One day he ventured into a room of treasure, which had belonged to his family for centuries. Underneath the trinkets and loot, he found a sword that glowed with a celestial power, engraved with the finest of designs. To his father he showed this glorious artifact, and his father summoned an expert of such things.

“You are right in assuming its godly power, for but one blacksmith could have forged such a weapon” the expert said, “the god of fire himself, Hephaestus!”

From that day forward Platanius carried that sword, and with it he wielded a power beyond that of mere men. Only the son of a king could use such a sword, for it was truly something of immense power. He became schooled in the many arts, both of war and of culture. The greatest of books he read, and the best of teacher he had. As he grew, he became both a wise and powerful man.

Leffenel grew old, and when Platanius was of but a score and twain years, he passed on. Platanius was crowed King of Tenvel, to the joy of the people. Soon he became renowned in the kingdom as a wise and compassionate man; one who was fierce to those of evil but kind to those of good.

One day when Platanius was still young, there was news of a party of bandits who had landed their ships on the coast of the kingdom. The king himself rode out to see what trouble was brewing, and found not a scattered few men of evil, but fifty score instead.

“Dear King, you must not fight!” his bodyguards urged, “They are many and you are but one man!”

“That is of no concern.” Platanius replied, “They are weak in their own vileness, and I shall defeat them. You may leave if you wish, I shall do no ill to you.”

And so his bodyguards left, for fear of their lives. Platanius drew his divine sword and rode straight into the bandits. The combat raged for a fortnight more, but in the end Platanius emerged without harm. His people heard of his accomplishments, and pledged their lives to him. The fame of the King spread beyond Tenvel and throughout the many lands of Greece.

Platanius grew in his years, but one day received a message from the King of Sparta. He wished to see Platanius for himself, and hear of his feats from the mouth of the noble King himself. Platanius set out for Sparta, and met with the Spartan king. So impressed was the Spartan king with Platanius, that he gave the hero a huge chest of riches, and his friendship through all times both harmonious and tumultuous.

Soon other kings wished his presence to be in their kingdom, and they welcomed Platanius in as well. Every time the kings were awed by his noble temperament, and they gave him their trust and the grandest of golden treasures.

But soon he received an urgent message from the greatest of all Greek kings, the king of Athens himself. The message was of a disconcerting nature, and Platanius rushed on his best steed to see the king.

When he arrived, he was ushered into an empty throne room, save for a distressed King of Athens. Platanius did the necessary courtesies, and then walked to the king.

“Good King, I have received your call. I am Platanius” he remarked, “and I am concerned. Is there some ill in your affairs?”

“Platanius, I have heard of your feats of glory,” the weary king replied, “and I have called you to help me. There lurks a shadow that wishes to end my life, and none of my men can catch him. Soon he will cease my days, and Athens shall fall to whatever entity the assassin calls master.”

“Dear King, fear no more. I shall deal with him, please sleep in peace,” Platanius stated with confidence.

The Athenian king thanked Platanius, and retired to his bed as night fell. Platanius, noble King of Tenvel, asked the king’s servants to bring him grey paint. When they did, he asked them to paint his body with the substance, armor and spear included. After they finished the application, he crept silently outside the king’s courtyard, and stood with a stillness that only the most disciplined of men could muster. In the dark of that night, He looked no different than the other statues in the vicinity.

Hours passed and the night deepened, and Platanius remained still. Suddenly a shadow leapt from the darkness and began to climb the wall to the king’s bedchamber. Platanius turned without sound, and hurled his spear with heroic strength. The assassin fell to the ground, dead in a heartbeat.

Platanius awoke the palace with his news. The king rejoiced, and awarded Platanius a caravan of the greatest riches ever seen in all of Greece. His saving of the good king made Platanius become a name known throughout Greece, and even in lands beyond.

The King of Tenvel returned to his own kingdom once again, and continued his wise and benevolent rule. Tenvel traded across the vastest of seas, and spread its influence throughout the realm. Platanius became even more famous, and revered by his own people and the people of Greece.

Decades after his saving of the Athenian king, Platanius once again received news, this time of a vast Persian army moving towards Greece. All the kingdoms of Greece were congregating together to mount a defensive, and they requested the wise and skillful Platanius to aid them. The army of Tenvel marched to the battle site, with Platanius at the helm.

When he arrived the site was eerily magnificent. The Persian army stood before them, in thousands if not millions. The Greeks that had gathered were by no measure small, but the smaller party they were.

Night fell, and the generals talked. Many were still young, and spoke with fear in their voices. No army wanted to lead the attack on the Persians; no leader wanted the honor of dying first.

Platanius, however, was without apprehension. He stood up and spoke, “Someone must lead this attack, someone must motivate these frightened soldiers. I have lived my life, and I do not fear the land of death and spirits. I shall lead this charge.”

The sun rose into the sky, and the two armies faced one another. Platanius lead his cavalry in a trot, then a gallop, than a run. His battle cry was so ferocious that the Persians dropped their weapons for a brief instance, allowing the King of Tenvel to penetrate their lines.

Platanius met his demise that day, but his death was of the greatest honor and dignity. The battle was a rousing victory for Greece, and the Persians fled in a defeated morass to their homeland. For centuries, the Charge of the Great Platanius was told from father to son, from king to prince, and from land to land. In battle he was feared, in ruling he was loved.

The Kingdom of Tenvel stood as a beacon of grand power for centuries. Though Tenvel has been lost in the sands of time, the tales of Platanius
    still live on, and his honor has never faded.

Kaz

2. Wow thats really nice language, though there are still a few errors like crowed instead of crowned, and teacher instead of teachers