• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

TV The Effect of TV shows On Society

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Rap music is a common scapegoat and it is quite easily to blame because of it's aggressive, sexual, and cocky overtones. However, all forms of music are subject to this sort of thing. Country, rock, metal, pop, all these forms of music can be negative, they're just more subtle (well, not metal).
Rap music is by far the worst of these styles. Haven't you ever watched their music videos? The way that they treat women is disturbing and sickening.

Of course there are other styles of music that have bad things in lyrics, videos...etc, but rap music is the worst.

As for what you said about opinions on tv being subjective to the viewer, well of course it's true! That's the whole point.

Also, another easy way to prove how far we've fallen is to take a glance into Hollywood for a second. The movie, "Beowulf" that just came out is horrible. Hollywood has once again infused it warped morality into movies by changing the authors intent. The actual poem did not have any sex at all. It was clean and a good read. Beowulf never spoke a word to Grendel or his mother. Of course Hollywood has changed all of that (not for the better).

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
I don't see it as being "fallen" though. Culture's have changed and evolved over time. What was done 50 years ago or 200 plus years ago is of course going to be different
from today. I mean during the civil war people would bring their families to battlefields and watch men kill each other and have a picnic? Or watching a hanging at the english gallows? Didn't they stone suspected gays for fun in the biblical times? Or what about the Salem witch burnings? All forms of entertainment. The thing with TV and Movies is they take one into another world an imaginative world where these concepts and ideas can be seen but their is no reality to it.

I think core values have stayed intact in america(around the world) and I think most kids are understanding the difference between tv and reality. I mean maybe their is a generational gap but a kid who is raised in a sound environment will know the difference between tv and reality.

I think exposing kids at a younger age to some ideas or concepts makes them more well-rounded.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Rap music is by far the worst of these styles. Haven't you ever watched their music videos? The way that they treat women is disturbing and sickening.
They do the same thing in pop, country, and rock videos. What's your point? Rap is just the easiest target because every single parent in the country reads and sees these "news" reports on rap music or hears about rap music being blamed for some sort of crime.

Listen, I don't like rap music, I'm not defending it out of favoritism. I'm defending it because there is good rap out there. The mainstream stuff for the most part, yes, is total ass. But it is not the only perpetrator, it's just the most obvious.

Of course there are other styles of music that have bad things in lyrics, videos...etc, but rap music is the worst.
How so? Do you have proof? How do you measure the "bad" in a video? I don't want to derail this thread with another topic, but the bible is a good comparison if we're talking about influence and teaching. There's a lot of violence, sexual deviancy, mistreatment of all sorts of people, and death in the bible. Why aren't you calling for the bible to be banned?

Because it's the same as rap music: some good, some terrible.

As for what you said about opinions on tv being subjective to the viewer, well of course it's true! That's the whole point.
It didn't seem that way in your post. You seemed to be pointing fingers at television for the downfall of some sort of decency.

Also, another easy way to prove how far we've fallen is to take a glance into Hollywood for a second. The movie, "Beowulf" that just came out is horrible. Hollywood has once again infused it warped morality into movies by changing the authors intent. The actual poem did not have any sex at all. It was clean and a good read. Beowulf never spoke a word to Grendel or his mother. Of course Hollywood has changed all of that (not for the better).
No offense really, but how old are you? I only ask because you sound older than most people here, but who knows I may be wrong. So, you've found one movie in a sea of millions and think that it means anything? Here's why your blame on Hollywood is wrong.

You say Hollywood has a warped morality, do you realize what fuels Hollywood? Hollywood is the United States. It's comprised of all the movie-goers in American and is built based upon what the people want. In this day and age, sex and violence sells because our society is edging away from it's Christian roots (finally) where everything was taboo and strictly controlled by clergy and government and approaching an age where people think for themselves. This burst of want for sex and blood in theaters and movies has occurred, I believe, because of the collective repressed sexual and aggressive urges of the American public have finally come outward. We are slowly drifting to more artful and deep movies and art forms, but for now, we love action and lust.

So what is Hollywood? It's a mirror image of the desires of the United States with various filters on it depending on what limits we allow, which are broadening. Next time, before you go off on Hollywood, think of the role our society plays in the process. Hollywood sticks to a lot of old tricks and they listen for the most part. They produce what they know will at least be marginally successful based on past victories.

Blame yourself. Blame your neighbors. Blame us.

The ignorant blame the producers of the media.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well the idea of this thread was to talk about the effect of TV shows on society. So times change, well are they changing because of TV, or is TV changing because of the times?

So who here would let their 4 year old watch one of the Saw movies, or maybe Hostile? There is a line between that type of "entertainment" and SpongeBob. Somewhere between those two is a line. The line may be different from one parent to another.

Just because something is accepted doesn't mean it is necessarily right.

Look at this United States Crime Rate comparison between 1960 to 2006.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2006

In 1960 the population was 179,323,175, compared to 299,398,484 in 2006. The population has almost doubled. Now look at the violent crime statistics. Almost 5 times higher. Rape is 5.3 times higher. Murder is about double. Aggravated assault is 5.59 times higher.

Keeping in mind that the population hasn't even doubled. Crime is growing exponentially and statistically it can't be blamed solely on the population growth.

You'll also notice on that page that several crime categories have actually been going down since 1994. Does this mean TV since 1994 has caused people to clean up their act? No. I'm not giving TV credit for the crime increase or decrease, BUT, the fact is that overall crime has gotten worse, teen pregnancies have gone up, illegal drug use has gone up, etc. Many different things that have a negative impact on society have gone up, which all have a part in the overall "state of society", but TV tends to glorify a lot of these things, which encourages people to accept them.

It comes down to opinion though, since the politically correct nature of our society refuses to admit that we are effected by things.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
So, you've found one movie in a sea of millions and think that it means anything?
I could name many others, are selling because of sex, and whatnot. And your right. I blame the people int he culture who buy it. Why does sex sell? Duh, people keep buying it.Hollywood is warped. There are so many other movies that are so much worse than they used to be. Look what movies used to be rated R for and think again.

Reactions: Doc

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I could name many others, are selling because of sex, and whatnot. And your right. I blame the people int he culture who buy it. Why does sex sell? Duh, people keep buying it.Hollywood is warped. There are so many other movies that are so much worse than they used to be. Look what movies used to be rated R for and think again.
A good guideline for responding to other people's posts is the read the whole post.

FYI.

Hollywood only responds to the demand of the public, if you can't see that, you need to open your eyes a bit wider. Once again, society changes, our standards change and our ideas of right, wrong, appropriate, and inappropriate are always in flux.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
A good guideline for responding to other people's posts is the read the whole post.

FYI.

Hollywood only responds to the demand of the public, if you can't see that, you need to open your eyes a bit wider. Once again, society changes, our standards change and our ideas of right, wrong, appropriate, and inappropriate are always in flux.
I was agreeing with you on that, hence the "sex sells" part of my post. It is the fault of our whole society.

Obviously there is not much point in arguing this much further as it does depend on what your personal beliefs are (as Andrew already stated earlier). Therefore, we all will have a different opinion on whether we have "fallen or not."

And yes, as Andrew also pointed out, it is a circular relationship between the people and Hollywood. They keep affecting each other.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's also only natural, if you're older like I think, to believe that a society has fallen after being part of it for awhile. This is because change is construed as failure because in the experienced person's mind, things have "gone wrong" or "changed for the worse" especially these days seeing as we're becoming a much more open and accepting society.