• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

The Dunk Contest...

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I like the new format. The freestyle was entertaining for the most part. Battle rounds, nice touch.

That whole king thing, Shaq in a chair... It's a little too much. Using a mascot, fan or another player is fine. Objects, not so much.

The Dunk Contest was completely lacking in the finish. There should be a clear and decisive winner. When the battle round ended, the three winners should face off. Then the final two. There should never be a national vote for "Dunker of the Night". That's stupid...

...Wall's dunk was awesome.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Such an embarrassing moment for the nba. No way do they bring that type of format back next season, and if they do they'll tweak it. Like John Wall's dunk was the clear cut winner but it should never be decided that way. Very disappointed to say the least.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Embarrassing might be going a little far. It's not like they're putting out a product like the Pro Bowl. Now that's embarrassing. Haha.

Sabby

I liked the format....until the abrupt ending. The 3 battle winners should have faced eachother, then have the top 2 meet in the finals. yes Wall had th best dunk, ut the competition ended so quickly. It even seemed like the announcers, the MC and even the players didn't really understand what was going on.

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I didn't watch it since I'm not a basketball fan, but I just keep hearing about how much this new format sucks. What is the new format anyway?

Crypticshock

Registered Member
BJBirdy said:
I didn't watch it since I'm not a basketball fan, but I just keep hearing about how much this new format sucks. What is the new format anyway?
They have 3 from the East and 3 from the West.

They start by having 90 seconds to do freestyle dunks, all three guys. So you have them banking the ball of the backboard, stuff like that.

Three judges decide a winner of the freestyle. 1 pt for each judge. The winning team of the freestyle picks who dunks against who... and the order for a "battle round".

Battle round is 1v1. 3 judges rule. 1pt for each winner.

After the battle round, whoever has the most points, wins.

Since the East swept the freestyle AND battle round votes, they got 6 points to 0 and won.

I have no idea what would have happened if a West player would have won a battle. Does he battle the other two?

There was no 1v1 to decide the best dunker but a Sprite vote in contest.