The Dog

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by ExpectantlyIronic, Nov 28, 2009.

1. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Diogenes of Sinope lived around 400BC, and became well-known for the extreme poverty he chose to live in, and his rejection of social conventions, including a desire for wealth, fame, and power. He was called "Diogenes the Dog" during his lifetime. It's difficult to separate fact from fiction when it comes to his life, but the tales involving him are entertaining enough to repeat. My favorite involves his being sold as a slave, and being asked before a crowd of potential buyers what he was skilled with. He responded: "leading men, so any man who needs a master should buy me." As it was, he did end up managing the household of the man who purchased him.

No doubt the most famous tales of Diogenes, though, are those where he supposedly dialogged with Alexander the Great:

-source

Not mentioned is the story where Diogenes is looking through a pile of bones and Alexander asks him what he is doing. Diogenes replies: "looking for your father, but I can't tell his bones from those of any other man."