The Death of Christopher Hitchens

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Topic of Cancer | Culture | Vanity Fair
Hitchens has throat cancer which he believes will kill him like it killed his father. I may be opposed to everything the guy stands for, but he is a great writer and its sad to see anyone go through this.

The Topic Of Cancer was a great read, and his last line was astonishing:
But on the side of my continued life is a group of brilliant and selfless physicians plus an astonishing number of prayer groups. On both of these I hope to write next time if—as my father invariably said—I am spared.
I never, ever saw that coming.

I hope God spares him long enough to write about the prayer groups. I would love to see Hitchens come to know God and spend whatever time he has left as an ambassador of God rather than a seditionist.

Diederick

Registered Member
I would be baffled if Christopher Hitchens 'finds God' on his deathbed. And I hope his name will be spared the slanderous suggestions.

The diagnose is certainly a shock to the world.

A great mind.

Gavik

Registered Member
And yet somehow I get the feeling if I said "I hope that priest realizes there's no god when he dies" people would be offended.

Diederick

Registered Member
And yet somehow I get the feeling if I said "I hope that priest realizes there's no god when he dies" people would be offended.
It is often regarded as (deeply) offensive when one breaches through another person's constructs of ignorance. Obliterating another person's placebo shatters their fake feelings of bliss.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
It is often regarded as (deeply) offensive when one breaches through another person's constructs of ignorance. Obliterating another person's placebo shatters their fake feelings of bliss.
It's offensive to smugly denigrate another person's belief system using the most inflammatory terms available from beneath an anonymizing mask of false superiority. It's also preposterous wishful thinking to claim that comfort, when predicated on an unprovable notion, is somehow 'fake.' Happiness is happiness. Nobody has any proof one way or the other about the existence of deities. Your self-satisfaction is no less tenuous, no more genuine than the simple bliss won by taking a different leap of faith.

Diederick

Registered Member
It's offensive to smugly denigrate another person's belief system using the most inflammatory terms available from beneath an anonymizing mask of false superiority. It's also preposterous wishful thinking to claim that comfort, when predicated on an unprovable notion, is somehow 'fake.' Happiness is happiness. Nobody has any proof one way or the other about the existence of deities. Your self-satisfaction is no less tenuous, no more genuine than the simple bliss won by taking a different leap of faith.
I'm not sanctioning the downfall of faith, in whatever form that faith may come. People need hope and trust, regardless of whether the object they get it from is real. But for my part, when that faith (that joy) is based on something which doesn't exist, that faith is prone to be shattered for it is not supported and thus no more than a shroud to cover the less attractive truth.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I'm not sanctioning the downfall of faith, in whatever form that faith may come. People need hope and trust, regardless of whether the object they get it from is real.
Admirable oratory, but hard to square with the militant 'zero-god zealot' activism that would seem to be driving your posts. Not to get bogged down in semantics, but I can't see how a person can not sanction the destruction of religious faith at the same time that he's ridiculing it as baseless "ignorance" and "placebo." Perhaps my logic is faulty, but I don't think you should pat yourself on the back too hard for the pains you take in allowing faith to flourish where it exists. Nice avatar, too; it's so pointed and not at all calculated as a slap in the face to every Christian who comes upon it unawares.

But for my part, when that faith (that joy) is based on something which doesn't exist, that faith is prone to be shattered for it is not supported and thus no more than a shroud to cover the less attractive truth.
And what truth might that be? Do you know something I don't? Enlighten me, please; on what indisputable, concrete facts precluding the existence of a higher being do your unshakable suppositions rest?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Not often, but it happens. A read a great Christian book and found out later the author had a death bed experience like you describe. I can't for the life of me remember the guy. But, I think any Christian would find it sad not offensive.