Movies The Dark Knight

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
I'm sure most of you are thinking, "another one?" in regards to yet another Batman discussion, but I assure you, this one will be entirely different then any other Dark Knight discussion so far.

So, did anyone else think it was as overrated as I did? Seriously, after all the hype, I expected some mind blowing film and it fell short. Don't get me wrong, it was good and Heath Ledger did great at portraying the Joker, but it certainly wasn't the best movie of all time, or even the year for that matter. I prefer Ironman over the Dark Knight, and if choosing between the two Batman movies, I would pick Batman Begins 9 times out of 10.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Sort of. I loved the movie, but I agree with you that it's a little overrated. Saying it's the best movie ever is going a little overboard. I also thought Batman Begins was the better movie, but they were both great.

Stab-o-Matic5000

Cutting Edge in Murder
I felt that they took way too long to get two-face into the movie. I've always been of the opinion, however, that superhero movies should stick to just one villain. Batman Begins got away with it pretty well by more or less making Scarecrow Raz Al Ghul's sidekick, but when you've got two different villains with two different motivations, you either have one well fleshed out villain and one that's barely touched, or two that are half-assed.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
The marketing was the problem. In my opinion the Dark Knight is easily the great superhero movie made thus far. It's got a lot of prevalent and powerful themes, strong acting, and great effects. It suffered from hypititis, better known as "holyshitthismovieiseverwhere" syndrome. If most people saw this movie without having to see, hear, and experience hundreds of people drooling and droning over the movie (not to mention seeing avatars and sigs all over the place) then yeah, your mind will elevate the movie to ultimate status and you'll surely be disappointed because no movie is perfect.

For me, the same thing happened with Napoleon Dynamite. It got good reviews, a ton of people loved it, but it was fucking everyone. People were quoting, impersonating, and acting everything from the movie out everywhere. Thus, when I saw it, I was already prepared to hate it based on it's status in pop culture already. I'll never like the film because I hated the amount of hype. I'd imagine it's the same with people and the Dark Knight.

I'll advise you to wait a few years, then watch it again. You may find you'll like it more once it's disappeared from the mainstream.

kiwi

The Original Kiwi
The marketing was the problem. In my opinion the Dark Knight is easily the great superhero movie made thus far. It's got a lot of prevalent and powerful themes, strong acting, and great effects. It suffered from hypititis, better known as "holyshitthismovieiseverwhere" syndrome. If most people saw this movie without having to see, hear, and experience hundreds of people drooling and droning over the movie (not to mention seeing avatars and sigs all over the place) then yeah, your mind will elevate the movie to ultimate status and you'll surely be disappointed because no movie is perfect.

For me, the same thing happened with Napoleon Dynamite. It got good reviews, a ton of people loved it, but it was fucking everyone. People were quoting, impersonating, and acting everything from the movie out everywhere. Thus, when I saw it, I was already prepared to hate it based on it's status in pop culture already. I'll never like the film because I hated the amount of hype. I'd imagine it's the same with people and the Dark Knight.

I'll advise you to wait a few years, then watch it again. You may find you'll like it more once it's disappeared from the mainstream.
I def agree with you about Napolean Dynamite. We heard how awesome it was and it was hilarious, then we saw it and I forgot to laugh. I didn't find it funny at all.

Although, I still think it's one of the stupidest movies ever made.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
I've been saying it ever since the first CB Batman. They screwed it all up. Iron man was way better.

I don't see all the fuss over the new joker, Jack did it better and then the Guy from "Batman Dead End" does the best joker EVER! The Batmobile is a fracking joke along with the POD thing and as far as two face TLJ did that better too.

The movie didn't live up to the hype, I was not impressed. Atleast the over the top past batman movies followed some sort of story line from the comics.

I still say that CB is the wrong man for the job, he looks like he is trying to take a dump when he is speaking in the Bat suit. I hope the next installment is better.

I realy wish they would take the Bat in a new direction, like Batman Beyond. Now there would be a Great movie. It would open up the bat franchise to new bad guys and a whole new Gotham City. Plus it would be cool to see an old bat teaching a new one, plus the addition of Night wing would be kick some major ass.

Why go backwards with the Bat when you can keep going right on into the future and introduce new generations to a new Bat and new Bad guys.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Batman Beyond sucks incredible amounts of ass. It's just another lame knock-off and I'd probably buy it on DVD just to break it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
No I don't believe it was overrated, it deserved the hype that it received, and by the amount of money this film got, I believe tons of people thought it was amazing as well.

The acting was supperb and so was the story line. There's no way I believe this movie was overrated.

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
Batman Beyond sucks incredible amounts of ass. It's just another lame knock-off and I'd probably buy it on DVD just to break it.
The true comic story lines for Batman beyond blows the current crap out of the water. Plus we would finaly get introduced to new villains, instead of remaking the same old ones over and over again.

The Newest installment of Batman was lame and extremely predictable.

The only reason I saw this last Batman was because it was free. Hell I won't even buy it in the 5 buck chuck discount bin.

I say it's time to take the Bat to the next level instead of going backwards.