Movies The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I watched "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" last night. It was a really interesting and creative movie. It was really well done. Definitely on the longer side but worth it if you ask me.

Here's the trailer, if you want to see it:

YouTube - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button Movie Trailer #2

Brad Pitt is an extremely talented and diverse actor and this movie proves it.

The special effects and makeup effects are enough reason to see it. It makes Gollum from Lord of the Rings seem like original black and white Godzilla.

There are some spoilers in these videos so I wouldn't watch them unless you've seen the movie.

YouTube - Special Effects - The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

YouTube - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Brad Pitt's Make-up

Who else has seen it and what did you think?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I haven't seen the movie myself, but I've heard mixed reviews. Some people that I know loved it a lot, and others couldn't wait till it was over. I'll definitely watch it when it comes out on Satellite. The only thing that worries me if that it's a very long movie, and it could get boring after awhile.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
It feels a lot like Forest Gump, Bicentennial Man, etc. If you like movies that cover somebodies entire life then you will definitely like this.

Bliss

Sally Twit
It was an amazing film. I loved the story and the special effects/makeup. I am glad it was a long film because it wouldn't have been as good if it was rushed. Everything that happened in the film needed to happen to make it the masterpiece that it is.
I would recommend it to everyone.

Wade8813

Registered Member
It was a good movie, but I didn't see anything particularly special about it.

Bliss - could you explain what you liked about it so much? I'm honestly curious. Maybe there were some aspects I missed.

Last edited:

Bliss

Sally Twit
The story was great. It was well thought out and the actors that played each character were perfect for the roles. I found the whole thing to be very moving and really enjoyed the love story in the film. I have seen many films where Brad Pitt was the star but he'd never amazed me like this before.
I loved the way they made him look really old and couldn't believe how good he looked when they made him appear younger.

Italiano

Film Elitist
The story was great. It was well thought out and the actors that played each character were perfect for the roles. I found the whole thing to be very moving and really enjoyed the love story in the film. I have seen many films where Brad Pitt was the star but he'd never amazed me like this before.
I loved the way they made him look really old and couldn't believe how good he looked when they made him appear younger.
I have to give credit to the make up effects and otherwise done in this. Quite an effort put into the production design among other aspects of the scenery.

The story was moving at least between Pitt and Blanchet. The chemistry between the two of them held up.

That being said, there were a few things that put a question mark over my head or made me raise an eyebrow. I found that there was a lot of useless symbolism and unnecessary melodrama in Benjamin Button.

The bird that Button sees on the boat after his ship gets scuttled by the U-boat, even the clock that only ticks backwards seemed a little overused in parts of the film.

I didn't understand why they had to reference Katrina either. I thought that was a very campy move and it took me out of the moment.

I'm going to stop there because I haven't seen the movie more than once and I often have a slightly different opinion when I do so.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
I saw it back when it was in the theatres late last December. I really liked the movie. It was unique, as opposed to the majority of the movies I see.

Wade8813

Registered Member
The bird that Button sees on the boat after his ship gets scuttled by the U-boat, even the clock that only ticks backwards seemed a little overused in parts of the film.

I didn't understand why they had to reference Katrina either. I thought that was a very campy move and it took me out of the moment.
I missed the bird you're talking about (either that, or I just don't remember it), but the clock seemed a bit odd. It felt was an explanation for why Benjamin aged backwards, although I could see no connection between Ben and the clock. Why did it make Ben age backwards, and not the hundreds of others born that day?

I kept waiting for the whole Katrina thing to be a major part of the story, considering how big a deal it was in real life.
------
What, you were surprised that Brad pit looked good? :lol:

Last edited: