• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Science The Crystal Cave

dDave

V.I.P.
This is an incredible cave that I learned about recently in class. This is a cavern filled with some of the largest crystals known to exist on the entire planet.

Giant Crystal Caves Yield New "Ice Palace," More

It's 90% humidity and 118F constantly. Just to enter this place the scientists need to wear special cooling suits and even then their time in there is limited. My professor tells me that they have to pump the water out of here just to explore it today, the crystals start to immediately decay slowly when there is no water present.

I had no clue that places like this existed on planet earth. Too bad this is never going to become a tourist attraction because it's too dangerous. The pictures and film are the best we'll ever be able to do.

I think this is absolutely amazing and I thought it was worth sharing.

Jim_Raynor

Registered Member
Well who says that this will never be a tourist attraction? They could sell time slots to go and look at these rather large crystals. They could potentially make some serious money off of this discovery. Its hard to imagine of how these crystals even came to be. Even though scientists have their theories, who says that they are right, these could have formed from another even bigger crystal field but only this part remains.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Those are beautiful but a deadly place to be without the right equipment, thanks for posting them. I hope the mining doesn't hurt them and they let them fill back up with water if it will help preserve them.

I think I would be worried about being down there with the heat from magma coming up into the cave. I would be afraid the magma might come up too.

Zenheizer

needs practice
That's actually wicked cool.

Yeah, wicked cool. Great post!!
I wonder how long it will take humans to figure out how to harvest them (cause you know we will).

dDave

V.I.P.
I think there's an agreement that these won't be harvested. This is an incredibly unique natural environment that cannot be reproduced. I doubt we'll ever see these harvested. Because they decay without water I doubt we'll ever see it as a tourist attraction even if it's super expensive. This system of caverns must be protected, it would be wrong to harvest these.

The article says there are many others just like it around this area. Wouldn't it be amazing to get full 3D scans of all of them?

Zenheizer

needs practice
I think there's an agreement that these won't be harvested. This is an incredibly unique natural environment that cannot be reproduced. I doubt we'll ever see these harvested. Because they decay without water I doubt we'll ever see it as a tourist attraction even if it's super expensive. This system of caverns must be protected, it would be wrong to harvest these.
Yeah, but haven't you seen Avatar, or Dances with wolves, or Pocahontas or one of those "let's save nature" themed movies.

If it can make money, people will find a way to make it happen despite the danger and loss of nature.

Jadae

Registered Member
I was born near caves like this, but the ones in the Black Hills are bit more smooth and watery. They give tours during the warm season, and its super cold down there.

danwiz

Registered Member
I think that I read that they are now closed, no? Seems like I saw somewhere within the past year or so that they allowed one final "tour" and that was it - closed indefinitely. I could be wrong though. I think this in Mexico somewhere, so I strongly suspect that if offered enough money that they'd open it up to "your group".