The Crucible

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Jessticles, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Jessticles

Jessticles Registered Member

"The Crucible", by Arthur Miller.

I've read this play a few times now and I've seen two productions of it, one of them was very interesting, the other was mediocre. I've also watched one of the movie versions.

I find the play fascinating. The control that one woman can have over a group is fascinating, how people can get into such a frenzy and follow the pack.

Obviously the most interesting characters to me were John Proctor and Abigail. John's obsession with keeping his honour and his 'good name'.

I find the relevance to the time and the McCarthy-related symbolism fascinating.

Anyone else read this and enjoyed it?

2. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I've read it, certainly nothing special to me.

It was sort of hard to understand in some parts probably because I should have done some research on the times to learn exactly what was going on.

I got the general idea of it though, I can see how it would make a good movie, I didn't like reading it though.

I agree, the McCarthy symbolism is really good.

Is the movie worth watching?

3. Jessticles

Jessticles Registered Member

It's not one of my favourite dramas but I still enjoyed it.

I saw the version with Daniel Day Lewis and Winona Ryder, it was.... good. Enjoyable I guess, but the staged versions I went to were much better, at least for me I enjoyed them a lot more.

4. Blake02

Blake02 Registered Member

Ah The Crucible, a fantastic play. I've not read much Arthur Miller but from what I have the Crucible is for sure my favourite.

I have seen the Winona Ryder movie, which I thought was fantastic, and I have seen some amatuer productions, which were quite good considering the skill level of the actors and others involved.

I actually studied the book in my grade 11 English Studies class, although that was a good 3 years ago, so forgive me for not been able to continue an educated discussion with you!

The links into McCarthyism are fantastic, I also love how Arthur tied real events (such as Giles Corey, who actually did die by weight during the Salem witch trials)

I often do not appreciate reading plays, but The Crucible is one of those books I would go back to again, and again.

5. ChaunceyGardener

ChaunceyGardener New Member

I have seen the play three or more times, and read the story (script). It is one of the most powerful dramas I have ever seen. It is not only wonderful historical commentary but prophecy as well. Everyone should see it at least once.

6. EasySkanking

EasySkanking Registered Member

I read the book a good few years ago...then we happened to study it at school.
    IT RUINED IT FOR ME.

I thought it was an interesting story... but when we studied it at school, we basically had to analyse everything, and the alternative interpretations, and the characters underlying feelings and emotions, and how the story represents other historical happenings etc.
    After doing all that... the play just seemed worthless to me because everything about it was so complicated. Although I do enjoy studying other books such as Lord of the Flies, I found that studying a book I had already read and loved just ruined it.

Now The Crucible is worthless to me...