The Cosplay Experiment.

Okay, so i cosplay. I don't go to conventions or anything (i'm not a weirdo) i just dress up as video game characters to play the games in the comfort of my own home.

People say it's weird, but it's not. It's just the next step up from playing using surround sound.

The reasons i do it are not just aesthetic, oh no. When i'm dressed up i feel more in the game. My reflexes are a little faster. I see items i would otherwise miss. My overall in game performance goes up, and therefore my score.

I'm currently working on a way of proving this. I've never been one to follow the scientific method since it's too restrictive, but i'm going to film myself playing three games wearing normal cloths, record my scores etc. And then film myself playing the same three games dressed up as the character i'll be assuming the role of, and again recording the scores.

It is my hope to revolutionise the way video games are played. So future releases may actually be packaged with an outfit to wear whilest playing, to enhance both the in game experience, and performance.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
I, myself, do not see this taking off any time soon. It would only be beneficial if the people playing felt comfortable dressing as characters in game, and I can see the average gamer feeling slightly silly dressed up as, say, a spartan, or a soldier, and so on.

And for the record, I will not be dressing as Lara Croft.

Well, this prohibits me from enjoying games where the character is female.
But really, it adds so much to the game, which is why i intend to conduct this experiment.

I think it's something that people feel silly about at first, but after they try it they love it.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
This doesn't need an experiment to prove it.

You're the type of person who enjoys the immersing experience, so naturally, the more immersed you feel, the more of a profound effect it has on you. Personally, I think it would take away from my experience because I see no reason to cosplay while gaming. I'd feel stupid and goofy.

The answer is that it would vary greatly and I'd bet that most people would just feel awkward dressed up as their characters.

I understand your point of view Constantine, but i feel quite strongly that this is worth testing. Thinking about it, testing on myself isn't too scientific. So i'm going to hire a hall, and fill it with about 20 volunteers, who would each play three games. Once dressed in their regular attire, and a second time in costume.

I'll record the results, analyse them, and then present my findings.

It may not have as a profound an impact on others as it does on me, but you have to try these things.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I understand your point of view Constantine, but i feel quite strongly that this is worth testing. Thinking about it, testing on myself isn't too scientific. So i'm going to hire a hall, and fill it with about 20 volunteers, who would each play three games. Once dressed in their regular attire, and a second time in costume.

I'll record the results, analyse them, and then present my findings.

It may not have as a profound an impact on others as it does on me, but you have to try these things.
That won't work because if they play the game a second time, they'll obviously be better at it. You'd need two groups of people who have played the game (and are at a moderate skill level) and compare their results, one group in costume, the other not.

Also, cosplaying is an act of passion, people who do it obviously enjoy what they're cosplaying so it's only natural that they'd perform better while in costume because they'd feel more into it. It's a placebo effect (I think).

I just don't think it's worth your time to try because the answer can be obtained without research.

shyguyjster

Registered Member
i think this is worth giving a shot...in fact, i would do this...if i had funds for this...ooh! do you think a university would help with this? i mean, i read stories on how they try to find the immersing experience, and as you said, it is just a step up...

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I just don't see how it would be a worthwhile experience.

And sorry guys, but if there was ever a day and age when games came packaged with costumes, I think I'd have to bow out of gaming for good.

That won't work because if they play the game a second time, they'll obviously be better at it. You'd need two groups of people who have played the game (and are at a moderate skill level) and compare their results, one group in costume, the other not.

Also, cosplaying is an act of passion, people who do it obviously enjoy what they're cosplaying so it's only natural that they'd perform better while in costume because they'd feel more into it. It's a placebo effect (I think).

I just don't think it's worth your time to try because the answer can be obtained without research.
I don't think you can know anything without researching it. I also feel that the "placebo effect" is used as an excuse in a lot of instances. This experiment will prove it one way or the other.
------
i think this is worth giving a shot...in fact, i would do this...if i had funds for this...ooh! do you think a university would help with this? i mean, i read stories on how they try to find the immersing experience, and as you said, it is just a step up...
It's definately something i'd recommend, and when i first started i had my costumes made by a friend who is studying fashion at university. So i'm sure people there could help you out.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I will make a bet with you then. The experiment needs to be set up as so:

Two groups of non-cosplayers in separate rooms playing one game (both groups must have strong experience with the game). You could probably use something like Halo or Counterstrike because they're popular games and have a huge fan base. One group will be clothed as their favorite characters from the game and the others will not. Have both teams face off against one another from separate rooms and play around 10 games of team deathmatch. Record your results and see if they show anything.

- You cannot use cosplayers because it's something they're passionate about so you will not get accurate results from them.

- Players cannot be new because if they are new to the game, they will not care about the game and chances favor greatly that they will not care to be dressed up as characters

- Players must be of even skill levels. This is easiest to do with Halo 3 as there is a ranking system so you can group people evenly

That's just how I would do it. Your thoughts? I'm just highly skeptical that anyone who doesn't cosplay would be affected much.