The Contender

Shooting_Palanx

The Rock is cooking atm..
This was a show that ran on NBC and started a while ago in 2006 if I'm not mistaken, and Sly was the host as well as Sugar Ray.

Awesome show, and it had a cool twist on not only the sport but the reality of the average boxers lives.

Here's the intro for the first series:

YouTube - "The Contender" Intro

wolfheart

Registered Member
Man I loved that show, there were some good bouts, and some of those guys really put there all into it.

My favourites were Manfredo, Gomez and Jesse Brinkley, all those guys were very entertaining.
Jesse Knocking out Anthony Bonsante with that sweet uppercut was great veiwing, and Joey Gilbert put on a great show against Manfredo, I have never seen a cut like he recieved from the clash of heads, I think it needed over 50 stitches after the bout, and I know from experience fighting with cracked ribs hurts like they have been pulled out.

I completly missed the 2nd season for some reason.

Shooting_Palanx

Yeah....I was stunned that Sergio won the whole thing, because he didn't come off as a special in ring fighter, I guess his style of boxing is what won him over.

Manfredo and Gomez were my favorite.

I loved the first episode how Gomez just calls up Peter and I loved how he never had a doubt in his mind that he could beat him. I love that level of determination.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Yeah that was a great bout, Gomez really put everything into that fight and his work to the body was stunning, and he put up a good show in the rematch as well.

I was reallt hoping that Manfredo would beat Mora, but Mora beat him to the punch most of the time.

wolfheart

Registered Member
Yes he did, Sergio Mora, and they had a rematch later in the year I think, my personal thoughts are that Manfredo beat him but the win was given Sergio.

Shooting_Palanx

I honestly thought Manfredo won too....

The funny thing is about this show, was the epic editing they did during the fights....and the music kicking in at the most intense moments.

Ahhhhh so awesome....

The intro is probably one of the best motivational music I've ever heard.